Day to day living

Indanao
Posted
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

That's my Point, My friend you call for a Carpenter you get a mason Turn up who can use a saw and nails, you ask for a Plumber and an Electrician turns up who BTW can install your A/C. Many men here thing construction Work is a Trade in it'self, many do not understand our way of thinking, using different Trades for separate work, here it is "Gizza a Job, I can do that"  Yosser.png Best Of luck my friend hope all goes well:thumbsup:

Jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1:

Either way...they know more than I do. Guess I look at it different knowing, and having worked with many Filipinos here in Vancouver at the Post Office. ( Most of them work harder and do a better job than Canadians - I am assuming it's the same there. ) One world - one people, culture aside.

Edited by Old55
Removed the tip joke

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Indanao said:

I am assuming it's the same there. ) One world - one people, culture aside.

Dave"H" has answered this and I hope and trust you learn from many of us that have suffered but in all seriousness be aware of what is happening around you. Especially on your Build :thumbsup:

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 1/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

It is a mistake to judge an entire culture by the cream of the crop who rise to the top and move to another country to improve their life.  You will find things different here.

Yes dave it is very very different

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 1/10/2017 at 9:21 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Dave"H" has answered this and I hope and trust you learn from many of us that have suffered but in all seriousness be aware of what is happening around you. Especially on your Build :thumbsup:

I would suggest you check everything.

When materials are delivered check the quantity and quality.

When the work is being carried out check the quantity of materials used and the quality of workmanship.

Keep a stock check or the stock may walk.

Watch the timekeeping and also if they are awake on the job,my friend caught his workers all asleep and when he told them not to do it again they walked off of the job.

Sorry to be on a downer but I have seen this so many times and I hope this will help you.Maybe other members can also give you some advice.Good luck with your venture.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

Sorry to be on a downer

No mate you are being Honest and Realistic, not All are scalawags but getting Good one's First off is difficult, Took us 5 years to get a Good team together but there are still times :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The problem I have when deciding how much to pay is for the 'quick' jobs i.e.2 or 3 hours. If we assume 500php max per day then I'd only pay about 150php for such a job. Somehow seems mean. I'm not one of those expats who overpays either deliberately or accidentally but I do think about investing for the next job I want them to do - pay well/ok this time and they'll probably (no guarantees) do a good enough job next time and I know the little over and above is appreciated. 

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, hk blues said:

The problem I have when deciding how much to pay is for the 'quick' jobs i.e.2 or 3 hours. If we assume 500php max per day then I'd only pay about 150php for such a job. Somehow seems mean. I'm not one of those expats who overpays either deliberately or accidentally but I do think about investing for the next job I want them to do - pay well/ok this time and they'll probably (no guarantees) do a good enough job next time and I know the little over and above is appreciated. 

I have used this method and logically it should work.But too many of these locals take the money and think  you are stupid they cannot comprehend that it is a test and you would use them again with more pay as well.There is no tomorrow for many of them only today.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Agreed, if you overpay and lose their respect it will cost more and you will get poor work done.

• Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

Exactly.  We tend to pay for a minimum half day if less than 4 hours.  After all they have to get to your place initially and go home again.

• Like 5