Annoying habit

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

Was the same in our house, you eat what's in front of you or go hungry.

I have tried with limited success to get SWMBO to eat a more healthy rounded diet ( fruit and vegies ) and not so much white rice but I am fighting a losing battle me thinks:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

It is a battle & one that must be addressed if they know what is good for them. Yesterday (Which is why I am in a techy Mood today) I was Diagnosed as a lower Borderline Diabetic, After much time Trouble and costs of Meds I had got it right but we now find out that all the Food I am eating at Home is just not Healthy, An Embarrassed Wife was told by the Doctor you must not cook this and that for your Husband and if you don't want to go the same way you should eat what I am asking you to cook. So a Visit to the Dietician this morning to see where it is going wrong. Seems the staple local Diet can be so bad for us Westerners. Yikes Man! it is not hard to follow the Diet sheet but my wife tells me but Honey we have always eaten this way & I am not keen on what the Doctor said to eat, Yes Honey and that is why there is so much High blood pressure and an escalating number of diabetics, that leads to Heart Disease. Being a Stroke Survivor, Diabetes is something I don't need so I have said, it either changes or I will eat out :whistling: 

That's all folks but take heed Please 

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Anyone relate to this? FOOD It eat or go without.jpg cos this where it all starts The Picky thing :smile:

This works to a point, but sometimes if your kid says they don't like it, making them eat it is a BAD idea. As my parents found out when I was 8 and they made me eat brussel sprouts for dinner. I showed them how much I meant I didn't like them - by 'placing' not only the brussel sprouts, but everything else I had eaten for dinner all over the kitchen table. In this case - they learned their lesson...

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

Former President George Bush once said,

"When I was young, I had to eat Brussel sprouts. Now that I'm president, I don't have to eat Brussel sprouts".

All my sons are big eaters. My eldest even asked me to teach him how to cook certain foods that he likes. This was so he could get his wife to cook the way I did.

Correction:  It was broccoli that former President Bush does not like. 

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Seems the staple local Diet can be so bad for us Westerners. Yikes Man! it is not hard to follow the Diet sheet but my wife tells me but Honey we have always eaten this way & I am not keen on what the Doctor said to eat

So the question to her is 'So it is better to keep killing me then?'. I am fighting the same battle but do not (yet) have a doctor's help. The problem with eating out or cooking myself is she gets bent out of shape for not letting her do 'her work' (cooking).

Of all the wonderful things she does (Filipinas general desire to care for you) the one thing I needed most, help with diet, is the one thing completly not understood.

Edited by AlwaysRt
  • Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Diabetes is something no one needs.

Again it's a case of them just not listening or listening and ignoring the advice that is given. My girls Mum died at 52 years from Diabetes, her 2 brothers 25 and 28 both suffer from it also her dad and for filipino's while not grossly overweight they are all carrying a few extra pounds.

I think it all has to do with the culture here. When S was just at home I could get her to eat reasonably good food with little rice, her family didn't visit so often and I suppose she ate about 1/2 kilo of rice a week. Now she has the sorry store and her brothers and sisters live in the adjoining house she eats rice 2 or 3 times a day because that's what they all do. I have told her that some of her family won't make old bones but it's like water of a ducks back, won't listen or understand.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

That's all folks

Not quite all.  You forgot to mention cholesterol.  For some reason I eat no fat and Lynn eats no lean, so betwixt us both we lick the platter clean.  But for some reason I am the one with the cholesterol problem?  Try serving pork chops to a  filipina with the fat trimmed off.  They don't like it.  We will buy two pork chops and instead of eating one each, I will eat the lean meat from both and she will eat all the fat (tambok) and love it.  She and the pharmacist had a good laugh over that yesterday as I was buying my statin meds.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

my parents found out when I was 8 and they made me eat brussel sprouts for dinner.

I am not surprised at the reaction, aged 8 is a little late to start feeding Brussels (seems there are an aquired taste)

All mine in the UK were brought up on Brussels mixed with mashed potato then weaned onto the real thing later, I have no chance with this one here but she does well on cabbage which has a little less but the same values as brussels.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Of all the wonderful things she does (Filipinas general desire to care for you) the one thing I needed most, help with diet, is the one thing completly not understood.

I gotta agree. My wife gets on my case about eating too much cheese, butter and not more veggies. She claims it is bad for me. 

Yeah right but how about the greasy lichon, crispy pata, and loads of white rice. Oh, and I don't need "patis" in my food. No, my chicken or beef should not taste like fish. As for the dried fish. She has to fry it outside. My rule. 

Another of my rules is to eat Durian outside. Eat the Balut out of my sight. 

Am I picky, squeamish? No, not really, but why should I suffer when I don't have to.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

My moto when I was bringing my kids up was eat it or wear it. I only once had to physically carry out the threat. I explained I worked hard to put food on their plates and my wife worked hard cooking it. They got the message and as grown ups now have a good laugh about it. Food choices like most things start with the parents you'd never hear a person in a poor village in Africa turning down food.

On another note I went to a buffet last night at the Peninsula hotel in Manila. The choice is amazing but unfortunately I had my partner with me. After her pointing out again that I could have that, I could have that, I could have that I almost lost it. I've now got to work out how to either get her out of my rented condo or I'll be moving out when she's at work. :89:

• Like 5