Large sums of money transactions from the UK

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think writing a check and waiting for it to clear is the only answer where you don't get fee'd to death and use a money changer in the bank so you don't get killed on the exchange rate. Since I'm from the US, I would be expecting a huge rectal exam to make certain I wasn't money laundering or tax evading.:SugarwareZ-037:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, robert k said:

use a money changer in the bank

For UK pounds?  That would be a first. How would he do that?  What bank is likely to have large amounts of UK pounds to hand over for him to exchange at a money changer?  Methinks he is stuck using whatever rate the bank gives him and would be wiser to send the money as pesos using International bank rates.  But thats just my "educated guess".

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

For UK pounds?  That would be a first. How would he do that?  What bank is likely to have large amounts of UK pounds to hand over for him to exchange at a money changer?  Methinks he is stuck using whatever rate the bank gives him and would be wiser to send the money as pesos using International bank rates.  But thats just my "educated guess".

Ok Dave, try to follow this. The money never physically moves. The money is bits of data. Do you think you, or anyone could sit there and count 145K GBP and then count the same converted to 1,000 php notes? Think digital and not analog. Exchange of verified bank checks would be another mechanism I suppose.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, robert k said:

Exchange of verified bank checks would be another mechanism I suppose.

For me, Bank to bank would be the Way. Everything costs but :571c66d400c8c_1(103): safer without the questions :smile:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, robert k said:

Ok Dave, try to follow this

Since I have already "physically" tried to do it with Canadian dollars at few local banks I will surely follow you when you "physically" do it.  Until then you are talking bs

EDIT: talking bs is not really what I meant to say.  Let me tone that down to saying you are talking logic in a country that does not use logic in the way we expats do.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Since I have already "physically" tried to do it with Canadian dollars at few local banks I will surely follow you when you "physically" do it.  Until then you are talking bs

You have tried to exchange certified bank checks? What part of exchanging certified bank checks failed?

robert k
Posted
Posted

Crickets?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, robert k said:

Crickets?

I may not be from Missouri but they got this right:

Missouri.jpg

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Missouri.jpg

Dave, I now live by a different credo.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. Of what possible benefit to ME would it be to show YOU? I suppose it would prove me right and you wrong? That is not the way I live my life but please, don't let me interfere with your doing so.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Missouri.jpg

Well.... I am from Missouri, and will be there next week actually. (This may help explain some of the posts I make?) :tiphat:

• Like 2