Epic Floods Caused By Record Rainfall

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wonder if the Philippine govt will ever do some road work and planning to direct the rains away from living areas and into the ocean? The rainfall brought by typhoon "Ondoy" to Metro Manila and nearby areas in a span of six hours on Saturday was the most in recorded history, surpassing the previous record for the metropolis in 1967, a weather bureau official said.Read the whole story here

post-40-1253977824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Lee

Warlord
Posted
Posted

Oh how tru my GF tell on phone that it has been non stop rain and she not used to seeing so heavy rain for sooo long ....You would think that after years of the same flooding problems the gov would take means to eliviate th eflooding.Warlord

Mik
Posted
Posted

Continuing global cooling for the next couple of decades will no doubt shift weather patterns. My part of Cebu had no problems. Lots of clouds and 83 degree temps for a couple of days. We only had a few brief rain showers.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

:welcome: Scores killed in Philippines flooding - 26 Sept 09 This looks very bad!

johnb
Posted
Posted

My sister inlaw lives in Manila, Makati to be more precise she tells us this morning that the water is now draining and theres cars driving around, last night in the lower apartments of her block the water was nearly a meter high, luckily she's on the eighth floor. Here in Pardo, Cebu other than some mildly high winds and the odd rain shower all has been well, in fact its rather cool at the momentJohn

TheMason
Posted
Posted

My wife was on her way to Manila by bus yesterday. They made it as far as Tarlac before the floods got to bad. She said the wind was worse than the rain. There were many trees blown over and her bus was hit by a tree branch that blew down. Nobody was injures.She got stuck in Tarlac overnight and is continuing her trip today. The flooding in Malabon is very bad. The water was over 2 meters in many places. Luckily, her family lives in a part of Malabon that never floods but even they had some minor flooding this time.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

We hope all your families will be OK and that they will not suffer any loses of property or life. We have friends and family in Manila that we still have not heard from and we are praying that they will all be OK.I guess as a silly side to all this, it will not be safe to buy a car in the Philippines for many years to come, unless you know the owner and know where it came from. The pictures on the Internet show many cars submerged and some stories say the water rose to over 10 feet in some place and went over the roofs of many houses and businesses. The President of the Philippines admits that they cannot cope with the magnitude of what has happened so this storm could set the Philippines back many years and the worst part is that there maybe be more to come.09/29/2009 GMA admits gov

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Here is a video with many vehicles floating away. This is very sad to watch.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My wife was on her way to Manila by bus yesterday. They made it as far as Tarlac before the floods got to bad. She said the wind was worse than the rain. There were many trees blown over and her bus was hit by a tree branch that blew down. Nobody was injures.She got stuck in Tarlac overnight and is continuing her trip today. The flooding in Malabon is very bad. The water was over 2 meters in many places. Luckily, her family lives in a part of Malabon that never floods but even they had some minor flooding this time.
Any update on your wife? I hope she and her family are OK? Anyone else have updates on their families or friends? We still have not heard from ours and I think the power and cell serives should be back on in most places by now??? There seems to be more and more disasters nowadays and it seems another storm may be heading their way, maybe it will not be a bad one and the rains will just wash off some of that mud for them.

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

AS mentioned in another thread, my wife's oldest son lost his house and 90% of their belongings. They were able to get out with the two grandkids and make their way to Tagaytay where the rest of the immediate family lives. So they are safe with their grandparents for now.... Sheeesh!!! We just built that house for them 3 years ago as a wedding present.