Is the gamble of living in the Philippines worth the rewards?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Philippines is NOT a paradise

Great point Mike, Just wish at times it was a tad closer to purgatory than hell :hystery:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

Great point Mike, Just wish at times it was a tad closer to purgatory than hell :hystery:

Out of stock sir Scott & Dave. :whistling:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I really enjoyed reading your post Queenie, as well as excellent contributions from Jack and Steve.  You really got to the essence of day to day life in another country.  Whilst I have spent 8 years in Thailand, soon thankfully, we will be in Philippines.  I have been there many times, so have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but it is never fully understood until you are domiciled in a country - that is a reality.

From what I have seen and read on this great forum, there is little difference between the two countries Thailand/Philippines.  Thailand has better infrastructure and I have met some great people here (some but not a lot).  The attitude towards Farangs (westerners) here is very different to Phils from my experience.  Here we are 'tolerated', there we seem to be somewhat 'accepted' and I have always enjoyed my time there.  Yes, some in public utility positions can be a bit testing, but that is how it is everywhere it seems.  On our last trip there, we were catching a Ferry on two occasions.  Both times, I was beckoned forth and told as I was a Senior, I did not need to stand in line (now I am not sure that I was totally pleased at being classified as a 'Senior' but at least there are benefits).

We watch CNN Philippines here regularly, there is nothing like that in Thailand from any local stations.  The prevalence of English there makes it much easier.

I admit to having the odd reflection on my homeland and whether I made the right choice, but overall, it has been an interesting journey.  I am hoping the next leg will be even better.

Just one question, do you have to report regularly to Immigration there?  Here in Thailand, it is every 90 days.

Thanks Mogo, and thanks for the glimpse into your life there in Thailand. :smile: I think that you and your SO will enjoy it here and see some differences. I agree that it can be an interesting journey!

I'm not sure about reporting to immigration Mogo, because I'm a 13a Permanent Resident through marriage.  I know that we must all report in January-February for our once a year check in and small "head tax" payment. No biggie on that. Bureaucratic rules and deadlines and travel requirements can be confusing at times for me. I was very relieved when I got through all the steps/requirements to get my 13a stamp.    I'm sure others can help you with your question though.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Just one question, do you have to report regularly to Immigration there?  Here in Thailand, it is every 90 days.

Ron, I answered this as Queenie was unsure, it depends on your Visa. 9a every 60 days or 6 months if that is what you choose (LSTV]  long Stay tourist Visa) on a 13a Once per Year then a new ACR card every 5 years.

No sure about the SSRV but I guess some may know this.

Jack :smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

• Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Perhaps those of us that choose to stay and live here should be grateful that the Philippines is NOT a paradise.  I say that because people have a tendency to want to "improve" paradise to make it more profitable.

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
And put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half to seem 'em

Has anyone else noticed that posts from Hounddriver can push your thinking in a new direction allowing you see things that you otherwise may have not considered?  Thanks Dave. :smile:

I agree Mike,  Positive improvements, not always profit motivated can be good.   In another thought not really related I guess-- I don't think right now or ever that the Philippines has what it takes to be an expat retirement destination on a huge scale though, because it's more challenging living here on the average. You never know though, there sure are a lot of expats here. I might miss at times talking to a fellow foreigner, while living out in the province in a town far from very many.  For myself though, I wouldn't be happy living in a comfortable enclave of fellow expat foreigners like in some of the Latin American countries. Sort of an expat "Lite" version, and too comfortable and predictable..:smile: Also, sometimes expat enclaves can make demands on a place and become a resented nuisance to the local population.

Part of the charm (curse?) of the Philippines among others, is the rugged nature of things.  "Paradise" here could use some improvements over time though for sure, and I hope that they happen.

Good old Joni Mitchell! They might not have paved paradise here yet, but logging sure has been an ongoing problem. We need more trees and green spaces. I'm trying to do my part.:smile:

Yes, Dave has a unique perspective sometimes, that makes you think about things..:thumbsup:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ron, I answered this as Queenie was unsure, it depends on your Visa. 9a every 60 days or 6 months if that is what you choose (LSTV]  long Stay tourist Visa) on a 13a Once per Year then a new ACR card every 5 years.

No sure about the SSRV but I guess some may know this.

Jack :smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

Thanks Jack.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Thanks Mogo, and thanks for the glimpse into your life there in Thailand. :smile: I think that you and your SO will enjoy it here and see some differences. I agree that it can be an interesting journey!

I'm not sure about reporting to immigration Mogo, because I'm a 13a Permanent Resident through marriage.  I know that we must all report in January-February for our once a year check in and small "head tax" payment. No biggie on that. Bureaucratic rules and deadlines and travel requirements can be confusing at times for me. I was very relieved when I got through all the steps/requirements to get my 13a stamp.    I'm sure others can help you with your question though.

Cheers Queenie, ever reliable Jack has come to the fore.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, mogo51 said:

Cheers Queenie, ever reliable Jack has come to the fore.

:hystery: :thumbsup: just doing my bit to keep as many as I can "Happy" :smile:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm not a seasoned veteran here in the Philippines yet but I've had the pleasure of living in at least 20 countries. For me I'm enjoying this stage of my life. I think it's a bonus if you've found the correct area to suit your personality and at times an advantage if you don't fully understand the Filipino way of life.

I've done the Manila stint for my sins and I'm currently living in a less busy Island with enough ex pats to keep me real but within 30 mins drive I'm the token white guy. I took the gamble and moved from Manila with about one weeks notice, and now living among the local community where people actually recognise me. The only downside is I'm finding they are pretty much like the UK. If they don't know something about someone they make it up. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story as they say.

I like the Filipino culture for now as I'm probably too green to see through a lot of it. For me all I need to know is how to sort my visa out and the basics of survival, shelter, food and water. As long as that's as far I look into the Philippines I'll probably be very happy. 

When I look back to the UK the only point of contact I have is via Facebook which with the politics and fake news I just thank my lucky stars I'm out of it. I love the non political correct attitude in the Philippines as it makes me realise how brainwashed the West is becoming. I can only see the Philippines getting more organised with better infrastructure where as the West is going to be more restricted with everyone complaining of hurt feelings, not to forget the added bonus of deep religious divisions appearing.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Gratefuled, I understand what you're saying, and as I said in the past that you have a right to look forward to a new life back in the States with your wife and stepson and your extended family there.  You have to admit though, that in spite of the issues you mention, in reading some of your posts, that you have been able to find ways to cope and find some happiness at times here. I can sense your satisfaction about the better and growing relationship with your stepson. For whatever reason you or I others have moved here either temporarily or permanently, it's all about not getting too upset I guess, about what one can't change, but how to let go of the uncertainties the best avenues that we can. The goal is to  find ways to reach a happy medium, and to seek ways best to cope in a not always easy environment.  

As for people that only live here because they can't afford to live in their own country, I can't speak for anyone else, but I moved here for many different reasons. Cheap living is not what brought me, or keeps me here. In spite of the ups and downs, I can't imagine going back to my life back where I had been, even though I often miss my family and old city there. I'm kind of proud of myself when I ride out or solve the things that are bothering me, and I find a positive where there was none before. My old life over time, didn't offer me that much chance to test my mettle, for better or worse.:smile: lol

I have to preface that for myself too, I don't angst all the time, but actually have great days/weeks sometimes too, that for the most part sail along and give me happiness. (Especially if it's not the hot month of May here!) It's the days when circumstances beyond my control lead me to anxiety or frustration,  or sometimes get to me more than I'd like them to.  Making my new life here is a work in progress for me, but I think I'm doing pretty well so far.

I don't mean to try to speak for you, but those observations are just what I've noticed. I always like hearing your input.

Well I am in the economic category Queenie, at least initially anyway.  Along the way I met my SO, quite a good achievement I think, a Filipino in Thailand.

I am well over Thailand for reasons I have expounded previously and am counting the days to the arrival in Phils.  I know it is far from Paradise, but I can live a better quality of life there, with a wonderful woman who cares and loves me!  At least she did this morning, maybe that has changed, but I don't think so!!!

She will enjoy being back in her own country, hopefully she finds something to do a few days a week, so she does not drive me nuts haha! (short drive anyway).

We will get a car after awhile and start seeing some of the lovely sites of Philippines, all good.

You have a very kind nature Queenie and bring a new dimension to this site IMO.

• Like 4