Drinking in the Philippines and the risks?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jpbago said:

100% agree with you on the Tanduay and Emperador. Rubbish. I have not seen the T5, T Select, or Zabana but haven't really looked anymore. I now where the Bacardi Black is at SM so I go straight there, 2 at a time. I drink it straight up, same as my black coffee.

There is a member here that makes beer, I wonder if he could test the Emperador and Zabana for alcohol.

We can get a white rum made  by Tanduay but I have not tried it yet.When I do drink shorts it is Tanduay light or t5. I have seen Gilbeys gin and vodka but have not tried that either.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2017 at 1:48 AM, Kuya John said:

Just studied the photograph.....that could be Arnold Schwarzenegger's double!

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

As it is said, you are only as cool as the beer you're drinking.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

As it is said, you are only as cool as the beer you're drinking.

I like Michelob Ultra, doesn't blow me up like a helium balloon and no headache. Not even trying to find it here and... I believe it rates a negative number on the cool factor.

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7 July 2017 at 3:21 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I just finished a couple of Cerveza Negras that seemed fine to me.  They are pretty mainstream but about 5 pesos more than the normal San Miguel beers.

They are an okey dark beer if you can find them :D. Wish they had some Pale Ales or anything with alot of hops in them. Lagers and Pilsners are just so boring and tasteless..

Theres a nice pub in Iloilo with craft beers and shitload of imports called Brewery. Only problem is that a pint costs 150-200pesos depending on the drink.

They do buffet nights on special days (i last went on fathers day last year) with cheapish entry and quite good food.

Once i went with wifes family during a booz ban day. Half way thru the meal i found out that the ban was only for Filipinos and me as a white guy could still enjoy a cold one (i was looking at the selection and the owner came to me asking what beer i want). Wifes sister was really pissed off on the fact that they sold beer to me and not to her 😂😂😂.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 5

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
On 7/8/2017 at 4:18 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

prefer my Capt Morgan spiced rum, but at p350 a bottle... I will buy the p40 Zabana ha ha.  So far every local I have let try the Capt Morgan has hated it, so not good for tagay. The foreigners seem to like it though

Love Capt Morgan spiced rum!  Was introduced to it at a Rugby match at -2c in the UK at a Rugby match by my BIL.

Neat or with coke is good for me.

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I drink everything. Wait. That doesn't sound right.

I'll drink anything. Nope. Still sounds bad.

OK. Nevermind.

I put a bar on our patio because I thought we'd be entertaining guests (even put in a bathroom nearby). Turns out, my wife decides she doesn't like to drink anymore and no one comes over.

So I have a few bottles under the bar, a small fridge, and a sink. Never being much of a cocktailer, I decided to learn how to mix drinks for all of the friends that don't come over.

I love beer and have had (and even reviewed) all of the SM beers, the foreign beers in the market and local craft beer. I drink Bombay Sapphire Gin when it's called for, Scotch, Bushmills, Evan Williams when I feel like it and George Dickel 8 when I can get a bottle through the balikbayan system. I like Campari, Bacardi, Jagermeister (by itself and out of the freezer), red wine (Spanish wines, mostly) and Torres 10 brandy. I've even had tuba which didn't taste bad but did smell like urine.

I'm not much on the new breed of craft cocktails. I buy good stuff when I can as long as it's versatile enough to be used in a bunch of different cocktails. I can't afford a bottle of Baby Unicorn Tears just to put a drop in a drink with more ingredients than I have toes.

I do make my own simple (sugar) syrup and squeeze my own lemons and calamansi but that's all I give in to being hipster-like.

• Like 4

There's-a-chance.
Posted
Posted

Guiness for me, a couple of pints most weekday evenings and maybe more at the rugby club at weekends but that was before I retired and moved from the UK to Cyprus. Since then I must hang my head in shame and say I have lost my capacity for more than two pints. I know I know! I'll try and work the problem through!

Guiness is available here but only in tins, she who must be obeyed is partial to half a glass of Guiness. (My fault she was Tea-Total until she had a slurp of mine.) My main tipple here is Efes Pilsner or for that early buzz Efes Extra, Keo red wine is pretty consistant and inexpensive. To round the evening off a tall glass of Raki with loads of ice. Great for the digestive system and making the world a nicer place!

In the PI's a couple of tinnies of San Mig. Pilsner with the gold label and then nurse a couple of Johnnie Walker Red Labels with ice for the rest of the evening. All my G/f Amies family there are Tea-Total so I have never experienced some of the more expensive drinking sessions mentioned above by forum members. Glad to say! There's a big difference between being hospitable and having the urine extracted! 

I joined the Royal Navy as a boy and drank and fornicated my self around the world, I learnt quickly if it's cheap don't do it, it comes with problems.  I don't get hangovers even when I occasionally regress into my ways of days gone by.

The other side of the coin is of course, if we were stricken with hang overs would we be richer people or would we take the pain and battle on?     

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Shame on you, fancy attacking a national icon, XXXX is better than mothers milk, shame, ha ha:cornflakes: