Why Are People Much Kinder After A Disaster?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

By all the giving after a disaster, it tells me people are in fact basically good deep down, but why does it take so many being killed or in severe need of help to jerk at the wallets of people who would otherwise keep their money locked away? BTW, the death toll and illness is sure to rise in Luzon due to this last storm and flooding. :AddEmoticons04230: Typhoid and other illnesses will probably rear their ugly heads in mass. IMO It might not be a good time to be in or near any of the areas of Luzon affected by the flooding.

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Yes, it was a very bad flood. My wife's oldest son completely lost the house we built for him in Batangas, as well as 90% of their possessions..not a pretty site.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Under normal circumstances, its easy to blame the poor for their poverty. They must have done something wrong in life to be so poor. They're lazy, they have too many kids, they didn't study hard enough etc. Take your pick, I've seen all these opinions posted here or elsewhere to explain why Filipinos are poor. When a disaster like this strikes, people view them as victims of circumstances beyond their control. You can't blame them for being struck by an act of God so people are willing to help. Unless they live in New Orleans. Then they're stupid asses for living in low lying areas and deserved the back of the hand they received from the govt.

Mik
Posted
Posted

Common oppression binds the people.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Under normal circumstances, its easy to blame the poor for their poverty. They must have done something wrong in life to be so poor. They're lazy, they have too many kids, they didn't study hard enough etc. Take your pick, I've seen all these opinions posted here or elsewhere to explain why Filipinos are poor. When a disaster like this strikes, people view them as victims of circumstances beyond their control. You can't blame them for being struck by an act of God so people are willing to help. Unless they live in New Orleans. Then they're stupid asses for living in low lying areas and deserved the back of the hand they received from the govt.
I guess this may have to be a new topic and while I would never blame Filipinos for what happens to them, their attitude toward life and many things that have to do with life, can often make the difference between those who make it and those who don't.

• 1 month later...
tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Problem is its riddled with corruption.. if you sit and talk politics with Filipinos the talk is always the same simply they dont trust anyone and caught in the middle. The only real way to change things is to seize overseas assets of people who cause it at the top level and freeze bank accounts etc. Forcing accountability for actions. The world is quick enough doing it when it comes to genocide but not so fast when it comes to poverty which isnt far from the same problem. Also there is cultural problems.. throughout the world.. If you look at the Somalias or Nigerians in the UK for example both have severe corruption and see it as part of the norm to rip off people where they can. Its not a racist comment btw its from experiences and data. The big issue is people are shunned for stating the facts! which then ignores the problem as people wont speak out.Im anti large scale charity and more for progressive development. If a country or its government hinder it that should be strongly published to make people aware of it world wide. Like stated on another topic regarding the second hand clothing being blocked by cartels in RP for the aid victims.

• 3 months later...
Heart
Posted
Posted
I guess this may have to be a new topic and while I would never blame Filipinos for what happens to them, their attitude toward life and many things that have to do with life, can often make the difference between those who make it and those who don't.
I strongly agree. Filipinos have the tendency to be "contented". A Filipina friend of mine said that her guiding principle about her workaholic attitude is "resources should be more than enough" ... and this is something her mother doesn't agree with, telling her to be contented, like eating 2 times a day is already okay and not to become too ambitious in life.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hey guys,It struck me as no surprise, the photos of smiling faces in the middle of numerous devastation in the Philippines. The latest being the flood victims in the lowlands surrounding Manila. One thought came to mind is their unselfish struggle to help each other. Look at how many Filipinos (mostly Filipinas) worshiping Mother Mary. Is it a culture of blind humbleness and through their own unique recovery, that they believe suffering is a goodvirtue? As they seek redemption, they still suffer in silence (bahal la na) and remain the quiet majority of the poor and the oppressed. As Tropicalpenpals stated: Problem is it's riddled with corruption.....oh how true indeed for any country rich or poor. As in the case of professionalor displaced squatters along the Pasig River and Laguna Bay, they were protected by fat cat politicians who will cash in individual obligations (utangna loob) for future votes or other favors. As I stated in my other post, most politician's rhetoric is like a pitcher full of warm spit -- the corruptionmachine is well lubricated here. Is spite of my apparent pessimism, I sincerely hope I continue in my own little way to offer random kindness (just like Lee and Nila is doing) andsmile often.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Common oppression binds the people.
Besides the annual calamities due to mother nature, it was the 20 years of dictatorship that bounded the average Filipinos into poverty and the past 20 years after Marshall Law didn't make any difference either with the past 4 or 6 presidents that followed, because the poverty level still doubled since then! The poverty level now stands at 36 million people out of a total population of 95 million today!!! It's still the Philippine Government's fault, by hindering the average Filipinos in finding gainful OFW employment because of all their bureaucratic red tape just to leave the country in order to find work!

Singers
Posted
Posted
By all the giving after a disaster, it tells me people are in fact basically good deep down, but why does it take so many being killed or in severe need of help to jerk at the wallets of people who would otherwise keep their money locked away? BTW, the death toll and illness is sure to rise in Luzon due to this last storm and flooding. :thumbs-up-smile: Typhoid and other illnesses will probably rear their ugly heads in mass. IMO It might not be a good time to be in or near any of the areas of Luzon affected by the flooding.
They are touched by their own vulnerability, (momentarily) donate, and then get on with their lives.UK Tom