Charity, When Is Giving Actually Hurting

Guardian
Posted
Posted

Very interesting to read so that I would know what I would be getting in to. Seems some of you have had major problems with family and beggars while others seem to be too strict and do not give even in an emergency, surely there has to be a happy medium. I will keep watching this section to see what others post. My thought would be to make someone work for anything that I would give them. If a beggar or family member wanted cash and I did not have any work for them to do then I would ask a store owner for a broom and have the beggar sweep up in front of the mans store or clean his windows and then I would give him some cash for doing the work and if I get a car, I would have them wash and wax that to get money. I will have to see if that would actually work once I am there.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted (edited)
Very interesting to read so that I would know what I would be getting in to. Seems some of you have had major problems with family and beggars while others seem to be too strict and do not give even in an emergency, surely there has to be a happy medium. I will keep watching this section to see what others post. My thought would be to make someone work for anything that I would give them. If a beggar or family member wanted cash and I did not have any work for them to do then I would ask a store owner for a broom and have the beggar sweep up in front of the mans store or clean his windows and then I would give him some cash for doing the work and if I get a car, I would have them wash and wax that to get money. I will have to see if that would actually work once I am there.
Ive been lucky with family members we are all working as a group with a common goal. Everyone has their own partnership in business but at the same time there are other members who I will simply wait and see what they are good at as often it could be better to give the responsibility to the direct peer than leading everything due to cultural differences. I wrote a triangle before that I base my ideas on with who is responsible for who :- Me & April _______ / \ Our kids Parents ___________ / I \ Aprils Siblings I Parents siblings __________ / \ cousins + others Parents siblings childrenMay seem a little bit odd as a setup but simply its down to trust my mother and father inlaw I can trust 110% if any other business comes out of it what we are doing I value the word they offer in line with who to employee/hire/take partnership with as they are well aware of who can be trusted and are well aware of the positive affects the ventures we are currently doing are having on everything. Also there is also disputes that maybe found between relatives my wife wont be happy to discuss but I can chat with my father/mother inlaw about all in all I have found it to work well for us but may need shuffling around depending on the relatives.I dont believe in a free meal so anything that I do generally generates an income regardless of how small. The idea being its a step forward. Im not a charity im a businessman. Edited by tropicalpenpals

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)
You know, my own father is like you in this aspect. Before he gave us allowance, he will see to it that we have done something no matter how little! I used to hate it before as his daughter but now I have learned to admire him as a person. Now, he did the same to his grandchildren so I told them, "Lolo" (grandpa) is always like that , even to us! He is such a sucker for work! I am proud of him because he never ask or accept anything from my American husband! NEVER and we are married for 7 years!It is a pity I am not like him...far from it! :rolleyes: Edited by daisy

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
You know, my own father is like you in this aspect. Before he gave us allowance, he will see to it that we have done something no matter how little! I used to hate it before as his daughter but now I have learned to admire him as a person. Now, he did the same to his grandchildren so I told them, "Lolo" (grandpa) is always like that , even to us! He is such a sucker for work! I am proud of him because he never ask or accept anything from my American husband! NEVER and we are married for 7 years!It is a pity I am not like him...far from it! :rolleyes:
One of my tenants put it in perspective.. some people will always be successful and survive anywhere in the world.. and that pretty much sums it up as there is hard working and always looking to progress in life. Some make millions but others make enough to get by and always will that ability is all tied with making something or progression doesnt matter how small but its a step forward at every turn. Your father is no doubt someone others look upto and in troubled times no doubt would find solutions.. your lucky to have such a father most arent so lucky..

johnb
Posted
Posted
Ive been trying not to post my real thoughts on this but John you tapped my raw nerve SugarwareZ-011.gif about the Western governments.. personally I think a lot of what is done with Aid is to create a false state of "hope". We shall provide the minimum as a Western nation while at the same time well aware of the bribes and thefts that keep a country locked in poverty systematically get raw materials at knock down prices. Is the U.S. the new Rome?Anyway.. im stopping before i go further.. I think localised development is the way forward with education. Projects shouldnt be taken on that cant be seen to the end as it then becomes worthless and frustrating to see all the hard work go quickly down the toilet.One idea im working on when I get back is container gardening for sitting on roofs small venture I know but I could really do with your help and experience on this if your interested John? The concept being to develop the plants to a point we can clip and start another batch but then educate people about clipping and growing, fertilizing etc. so that they go back to areas with an initial batch that is then clipped again when ready and expands out as more people get involved over time. I know its not going to be an overnight success. But I think it would be a step in the right direction and allow people to grow things in areas they wouldnt normally aswell as provide at least part of some peoples diets.. what are peoples thoughts?
Hi Matt, Are you back in Cebu at Present? I've not had a great deal of experience with agricultural projects, I did have a friend who was teaching hydroponics in Papua new guinea, he grew some amazing Vegetables, I also have a source book for development workers which has a fair size chapter covering food crops plus some other books on container gardens and foods that heal. send me a pm if your around.John

Guardian
Posted
Posted
You know, my own father is like you in this aspect. Before he gave us allowance, he will see to it that we have done something no matter how little! I used to hate it before as his daughter but now I have learned to admire him as a person. Now, he did the same to his grandchildren so I told them, "Lolo" (grandpa) is always like that , even to us! He is such a sucker for work! I am proud of him because he never ask or accept anything from my American husband! NEVER and we are married for 7 years!It is a pity I am not like him...far from it! :SugarwareZ-034:
You may not be like him in your mind but it appears he instilled good values in you and from the things I have read about you, you turned out to be a woman that he could be very proud of and you have a good heart because you appear to be doing your best to help your fellow Filipinos to a better type of life, so be sure to be very proud of who you are but but also be aware that a person is often judged by who they hang around with.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
You know, my own father is like you in this aspect. Before he gave us allowance, he will see to it that we have done something no matter how little! I used to hate it before as his daughter but now I have learned to admire him as a person. Now, he did the same to his grandchildren so I told them, "Lolo" (grandpa) is always like that , even to us! He is such a sucker for work! I am proud of him because he never ask or accept anything from my American husband! NEVER and we are married for 7 years!It is a pity I am not like him...far from it! :SugarwareZ-034:
We know for sure that you are a very good woman, so your father did teach you good values.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Ive been trying not to post my real thoughts on this but John you tapped my raw nerve SugarwareZ-011.gif about the Western governments.. personally I think a lot of what is done with Aid is to create a false state of "hope". We shall provide the minimum as a Western nation while at the same time well aware of the bribes and thefts that keep a country locked in poverty systematically get raw materials at knock down prices. Is the U.S. the new Rome?Anyway.. im stopping before i go further.. I think localised development is the way forward with education. Projects shouldnt be taken on that cant be seen to the end as it then becomes worthless and frustrating to see all the hard work go quickly down the toilet.One idea im working on when I get back is container gardening for sitting on roofs small venture I know but I could really do with your help and experience on this if your interested John? The concept being to develop the plants to a point we can clip and start another batch but then educate people about clipping and growing, fertilizing etc. so that they go back to areas with an initial batch that is then clipped again when ready and expands out as more people get involved over time. I know its not going to be an overnight success. But I think it would be a step in the right direction and allow people to grow things in areas they wouldnt normally aswell as provide at least part of some peoples diets.. what are peoples thoughts?
Hi Matt, Are you back in Cebu at Present? I've not had a great deal of experience with agricultural projects, I did have a friend who was teaching hydroponics in Papua new guinea, he grew some amazing Vegetables, I also have a source book for development workers which has a fair size chapter covering food crops plus some other books on container gardens and foods that heal. send me a pm if your around.John
Hi John im back in Cebu from December 16th I will give you a buzz when I get home :SugarwareZ-034:

daisy
Posted
Posted
You know, my own father is like you in this aspect. Before he gave us allowance, he will see to it that we have done something no matter how little! I used to hate it before as his daughter but now I have learned to admire him as a person. Now, he did the same to his grandchildren so I told them, "Lolo" (grandpa) is always like that , even to us! He is such a sucker for work! I am proud of him because he never ask or accept anything from my American husband! NEVER and we are married for 7 years!It is a pity I am not like him...far from it! :SugarwareZ-037:
We know for sure that you are a very good woman, so your father did teach you good values.
Thanks Sampaguita....however, I had to admit his attitude is not much appreciated by most of us. It's only when I'm married to Alan that I came to understand and admire him! I am just curious....LOL! Are you Nila? Just PM me please if you don't want it known! hehehehehe

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
Thanks Sampaguita....however, I had to admit his attitude is not much appreciated by most of us. It's only when I'm married to Alan that I came to understand and admire him! I am just curious....LOL! Are you Nila? Just PM me please if you don't want it known! hehehehehe
Hi Daisy, yes it's me. Keep up the good work that you are doing with your charity work, and maybe someday if we move to Cebu full time we can try to follow your lead. :SugarwareZ-037: