Was I right not to ?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, canadamale said:

Hopefully as you say crime seems to have decreased it will continue the same after martial law too. 

I read that martial law has been extended again so we won't know if that happens for a while yet.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Wife landed in Davao a few hours ago. Her aunt picked her up and they are on there way to Northern Cotabato. Wish I could have gone but had to stay stateside for work. Family asks where I am and miss me. They have no issues with me coming to visit. I would not be worried at all. As usual, know your surroundings.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I read that martial law has been extended again so we won't know if that happens for a while yet.

Yeah, they just gave it a one year extension - until DEC2018.

The Philippine Congress has extended martial law on the southern island of Mindanao for another year at the request of President Rodrigo Duterte, who says it is needed to continue the fight against armed groups in the region.

The move was overwhelmingly approved by both the Senate and House of Representatives, where Duterte and his allies hold big majorities. Duterte first imposed martial law in the Muslim-dominated south in May, and Wednesday's vote extends it through 2018.

Martial law, which extends military authority and allows for warrantless arrests and heightened surveillance, was declared in Mindanao after local militants laid siege to the city of Marawi in May. The battle that ensued between the ISIS-linked Islamists and Philippine security forces lasted five months, displaced over half a million people and left more than 1,100 people dead. ...<snip>

Source:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/13/570470625/martial-law-extended-for-another-year-in-southern-philippines

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Martial law, which extends military authority and allows for warrantless arrests and heightened surveillance, was declared in Mindanao after local militants laid siege to the city of Marawi in May. The battle that ensued between the ISIS-linked Islamists and Philippine security forces lasted five months, displaced over half a million people and left more than 1,100 people dead. ...<snip>

Source:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/13/570470625/martial-law-extended-for-another-year-in-southern-philippines

Errrrh I think I made the right decision, but I still love the Philippines

Edited by Kuya John

stevewool
Posted
Posted

You had your reason not to go, and if you are ought like me you will manage great on your own but you will miss her too.

You will know deep down she is having a great time not having to think about how you are and are you ok, well that's how Emma treats me .

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/19/2017 at 2:32 PM, FlyAway said:

Wife landed in Davao a few hours ago. Her aunt picked her up and they are on there way to Northern Cotabato. Wish I could have gone but had to stay stateside for work. Family asks where I am and miss me. They have no issues with me coming to visit. I would not be worried at all. As usual, know your surroundings.

Duterte in his letter to Congress said the group is "planning to conduct bombings, notably targeting the Cotabato area."

Yep definitely know your surroundings. :smile:

Military launches attacks vs 'Turaife group' in N. Cotabato

Spoiler

The military on Tuesday said it launched offensives in North Cotabato against a group associated with Abu Turaife, who is believed to be the next emir of ISIS in Southeast Asia.

In a statement, the 6th Infantry Division of the Philippine Army said the Joint Task Force Central launched air strike and ground operations at Barangay Tunganon, Carmen, North Cotabato, where members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters associated with Turaife were located.

"All safety procedures were undertaken of the well-coordinated, deliberately planned, and specific-target operation," it said.

Task Force Central Commander Maj. Gen. Arnel Dela Vega said he will be firm in stopping the group from pursuing any form of terrorist activities.

"I am very determined to defeat the threat groups and thwart them from doing terroristic activities in Central Mindanao," Dela Vega said.

The military earlier said that after the death of Abu Sayyaf-Basilan leader Isnilon Hapilon in October towards the end of the Marawi siege, a certain Abu Turaife is believed to have been chosen as the next emir of the ISIS in Southeast Asia.

Hapilon, along with the two Maute brothers, led hundreds of gunmen in a five-month battle against government forces in Marawi City.

The military has identified 22 members of the Turaife group, AFP Spokesperson Edgar Arevalo said in a Malacañang press briefing.

ISIS, or the Islamic State, is a terror group that has seized territories in Iraq and Syria. They have claimed responsibility for many deadly attacks worldwide, and has since attracted numerous sympathizers, including some citizens from Southeast Asia.

President Rodrigo Duterte cited the threat posed by the Turaife group as among the reasons for requesting Congress to allow the extension of martial law in Mindanao for another year.

Duterte in his letter to Congress said the group is "planning to conduct bombings, notably targeting the Cotabato area."

Congress approved Duterte's request which means military rule will remain in effect in Mindanao until December 31, 2018.

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2017/12/20/military-afp-army-turaife-group-north-cotabato-ISIS.html

• Like 1