Disabled vet expat-to-be: Wants expat friendly beachfront but no children?

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, robert k said:

I get that you will be renting for a year. The thing is, 5 years down the road you could run into a problem. It's happened to others. You are talking about a long term lease for which you will have to pay whether you live there or not. Rules are about the same as in the US, excepting you will be a foreigner, should you find yourself in court.

Make sure you can sub let in the lease, it's extremely unlikely that the lessors lease will allow you to do that, you will need your own lease drawn up.

I get the feeling you aren't enjoying my posts so I will refrain from now on. :thumbsup:

Please continue to post Robert; you have been providing reasons to why its a bad idea which is helping me to do more research.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

I get that you will be renting for a year. The thing is, 5 years down the road you could run into a problem. It's happened to others. You are talking about a long term lease for which you will have to pay whether you live there or not. Rules are about the same as in the US, excepting you will be a foreigner, should you find yourself in court.

Make sure you can sub let in the lease, it's extremely unlikely that the lessors lease will allow you to do that, you will need your own lease drawn up.

I get the feeling you aren't enjoying my posts so I will refrain from now on. :thumbsup:

I think your posts have value Robert.  Sometimes we don't want to hear what we don't want to face. 

Some members here feel that owning a home outright is too much of a risk to take. Robert and I agree in this. If things were to become politically unmanageable or much more common the situation nearby changes you may have a very difficult time selling.

In your situation Awesome I would NOT advise you to spend most of your savings on a house you may need to walk away from. On the other hand some Expat members here own homes and love it. I know of several who have little or no savings along with a very small pension and owning their home is a great benefit.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, AwesomeLife said:

I'd simply move; I think from now on all my posts in this thread I will have the following disclaimer: "After renting for a year, I would be willing to spend up to half my 401K to buy/lease a home if it makes financial sense"

I have no problems with your choices.  I think what the other members are concerned about is whether you realize how hard things can be to sell or rent out in certain areas.

2 examples:

One couple had a house on the beach in a popular location and decided to move back to Australia and had no trouble selling their place for a fair price.  It was a 2 million pesos tiny place.

Another couple have a house on the hill overlooking the beach in a quiet, out of the way area, and decided to move back to Australia and they still have it.  They have dropped their price to 800K pesos because they are back in Australia now and its empty and they are unlikely to sell it in their life time.  If they went any less it would not be worth the airfare for them to come back and do the paperwork for the sale.

So if you realize there is a chance you will have to walk away from the place and cannot even give it away at some future time then go for it.  Its a risk.  Its a choice.  It may be the best choice for you.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 5/6/2018 at 2:29 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its not up to me to give them a lifelong pension.  Wot do i look like, the UK government?

That does not happen anymore they stopped it for future pensioners.I believe they get 3k GBP to bury you and 18 months of financial help. Each relationship will have different circumstances,as you wrote I have a daughter some people don`t.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 5/6/2018 at 3:00 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

What did they have prior to the relationship and what did they contribute during the relationship. 

Maybe they contributed quite a few years of their younger years and are too old to get a job remember it is difficult to get a job when you are over 40 here.What did they have before mmm a very hot body well maybe.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, AwesomeLife said:

I'd simply move; I think from now on all my posts in this thread I will have the following disclaimer: "After renting for a year, I would be willing to spend up to half my 401K to buy/lease a home if it makes financial sense".  While I don't predict any major changes to VA disability, anything can happen including a medical breakthrough for PTSD which I have to be financially prepared for.  

Are you saying that you don't want to cure the PTSD because that is the basis for your disability payments from the VA?

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, earthdome said:

Are you saying that you don't want to cure the PTSD because that is the basis for your disability payments from the VA?

No; the other “soon to be” thread spoke about a magic fix curing PTSD; this thread spoke more along the lines of how secure is your pension.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 5/7/2018 at 12:48 PM, AwesomeLife said:

No; the other “soon to be” thread spoke about a magic fix curing PTSD; this thread spoke more along the lines of how secure is your pension.

I was that poster and the treatment  isn't magic, but  a very promising treatment for PTSD when other treatments fail which has worked well in small trial  studies to the point where some of the PTSD patients felt they were cured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:41 AM, AwesomeLife said:

Because I'm a vet I can use the VA Clinic for my service connected issues yet I do plan on taking an annual trip back to the US so can also utilize my routine medical checkups and any non-service connected medical issues.  

Suggest you familiarize yourself with the new policy at The VA Clinic Manila. You will be required to use The Foreign Medical Program FMP the same as the rest of us SC Vets here.  

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?id=682

I used to live on the beach. I moved closer inland because all my electronic items were getting destroyed from the salt air.

Annual flights back to the U.S. are becoming quite expensive. 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic