Staying Healthy Eating out in the Philippines

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Any time I'm bunged up I find a trip to Jollibee sorts me out straight away.I think it's all the fibre in their beefburgers. :1927_:

7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Any time I'm bunged up I find a trip to Jollibee sorts me out straight away.I think it's all the fibre in their beefburgers. :1927_:

Yep and they have plenty of that Lol 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I won't eat certain food like mussels, clams and oysters because the source may be from a contaminated area. Make sure meat and poultry is well cooked even if this affects the taste. My wife and I avoid eating buffet because you don't know how long ago the food was prepared. At some point, you are going to get sick. It's the tropics and the sanitation is not as good as First World.

Another preference is to eat at finer restaurants while in the Philippines. We also stay at top hotels. Countries like Japan have much higher hygiene and you can safely eat raw food  (love the sashimi and sushi). Wouldn't eat sashimi or sushi in the Philippines even if this restaurant claims to be "Japanese" food.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

We eat mostly at home, I usually cook, that is mostly about knowing the ingredients used. We do eat out sometimes and at parties and never get sick. I did get the squits once about 4 years ago, eating out, I narrowed it down to the seaweed on a fish dish that was probably washed in tap water.

We don't really eat at places like Jollibee and Chow King, if I'm feeling a bit slutty I might go for a KFC, about once every few months.

I have never got sick from watermelon or pineapples, I eat a lot of the latter. Maybe it depends on where it is grown, Tupi near me has the best pineapples in the Philippines also papaya and guyabano.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I have never got sick from watermelon or pineapples, I eat a lot of the latter.

Agreed.  I cannot imagine getting sick from eating a pineapple.  The acid in the fruit should kill any bacteria.

6. Pineapple

You may have not known about the health benefits of this sweet and juicy tropical fruit, but it acts as an amazing anti-bacterial that specially helps to fight invading cells in the mouth and throat. Fresh pineapple juice is known to cool the blood and reduce inflammation of the nose and the sinuses.

Each person's opinion will vary but my very sensitive stomach loves all pineapple, but as with any fruit and veg here, we thoroughly wash the exterior before cutting and eating.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, virginprune said:

I have never got sick from watermelon or pineapples, I eat a lot of the latter.

My first time in Hawaii I was starting to eat some pineapple (certainly not my first) and a lady leaned over and helpfully whispered that if I ate pineapple I would get the runs.  I never have, but perhaps she does?   I eat yellow watermelon with no problems, but red melon upsets my stomach. 

Howard
Posted
Posted

we mostly eat at home but there are some local supermarkets that we won't shop at because they are unsanitary. I am picky about the restaurants that we go to eat at mostly western restaurants, you can usually tell if it is clean by first looking at the bathroom, if there is soap in the bathroom and toilet paper they are usually OK. I never eat street food here and never eat at the local little restaurants.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Howard said:

I never eat street food here and never eat at the local little restaurants.

Then where do you get your kwik kwik?  I love street food. I found a shop that uses quail eggs for kwik kwik... namit!   :tiphat: 

vlcsnap-2018-06-06-21h14m45s702.jpg

• Haha 1