Posted
51 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

But I’m not on the ground floor,

If you are in an apartment Block I would suspect it is already grounded

marine6357
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

But I’m not on the ground floor, no luck there. In this case, should I just not touch these appliances anymore when I’m barefoot? Am I safer if I’m wearing sandals? 

In theory yes any insulation between you and ground will give you some protection rubber soles would be the best. Remember electricity searches for the easiest path to ground. But more then likely you will probably still be the path with the lowest resistant  to ground.

• Thanks 1

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

If you are in an apartment Block I would suspect it is already grounded

‘It’ is grounded, you mean the apartment block? But that doesn’t help me, if I can’t find anything metallic to connect the grounding wire to, right? 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

‘It’ is grounded, you mean the apartment block? But that doesn’t help me, if I can’t find anything metallic to connect the grounding wire to, right? 

My House is Grounded and I have nothing grounded by any cables from any appliance 7+ years and never a problem. For me my friend, I think you are worrying about things too much :wink: all my sockets (Outlets) have ground wires up into the Roof, because of the way the Electric is delivered here it seems logical and Apartments in particular, But...................:89: 

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Seeing as this is a hot topic (pun intended) - is there a right and a wrong way to insert a plug into an outlet here? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Seeing as this is a hot topic (pun intended) - is there a right and a wrong way to insert a plug into an outlet here? 

yes, cant go in backwards :hystery:

No, makes no difference. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No, makes no difference.

I have a Smart TV upstairs ( @sonjack2847 has the same model and may be able to confirm).  That TV does not work if the plug is put in backwards.  It is 2 prong and both are the same size, but if I plug it in one way the TV does not work and if I turn the plug around then it works.

Kevin, does yours do the same?  Maybe mine is an anomaly.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It is 2 prong and both are the same size, but if I plug it in one way the TV does not work and if I turn the plug around then it works.

Hmm many plugs here are the same shape no matter which way you pick it up and plug it in and seems to work but l will do some testing. :Zap:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

e no matter which way you pick it up and plug it in and seems to work

I totally agree.  I was just pointing out that one anomaly, the HiSense Smart TV, which reacts to being plugged in "backward" by not powering up.  It could be a wiring problem on my specific TV set.

EDIT:  Checking it further.  The plug coming from the tv is 2 prong but one prong is larger than the other.  This is how the problem became an issue.  It seems my wall outlet has the wires reversed so I had to use an adaptor with 2 "same size" prongs to plug in the tv with the opposite polarity so it would work.  Anyone with correctly wired household current would not notice it but it DOES make a difference which way it is plugged in.  Wonder how many other appliances are built that way.

Take a look at the male plugs and see which ones have one side larger than the other. 

two-pronged-plug-300x169.jpg

It would seem that those must be plugged into the correct polarity.  I must have got lucky with my Inverter fridge.  It has that type of plug too.  That socket must be wired correctly.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I totally agree.  I was just pointing out that one anomaly, the HiSense Smart TV, which reacts to being plugged in "backward" by not powering up.  It could be a wiring problem on my specific TV set.

This is weird. I put a plate of food into the microwave. It came out hot. I then put it back and turned the plug upside down so its prongs are now the other way around and turned it on. The same plate of food came out frozen,.

:SugarwareZ-005:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2