Is anyone hiring expats or know of opening?

Chrisfa
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I'm just wondering would $1000 a month as a manager trainee at a call centre be enough for a family of 3 to live reasonably comfortably?

Also would you be able to help me with sites or companies that hire expats into these call centre positions?

I am an experienced hotel manager from Canada and I would like to move to the Philippines to work and be with my family that is already there. I don't expect to make a large salary but I would need to ensure that my families needs are met

Edited by Old55
Split from another topic into it's own.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Not knowing your lifestyle or needs it's hard to say if the three of you could survive on 50,000 pesos a month. We have members here that do live on a small budget. Living well outside any major city your money would go farther. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The problem with a tight budget is that it gives no wiggle room should anything go wrong, especially medically.

• Like 2

Chrisfa
Posted
Posted

I believe 50k pesos would be more than enough but neither her or I have ever lived in a big Filipino city. We live very modest lives and basically will only spend on food, rent and toys for our little one. 

Maybe the first question I should ask is how much do you guys think a decent living wage would be?

I know most of the call centers and hotels are in the bigger cities so I imagine that I would have to live in or close to one of those.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

Not knowing your lifestyle or needs it's hard to say if the three of you could survive on 50,000 pesos a month. We have members here that do live on a small budget. Living well outside any major city your money would go farther. 

It depends upon a variety of factors. 

If you don't have to pay rent then 50,000 goes a lot further, if you're content eating local food (lots of rice with some chicken, fish and pork) and not western food then your budget will go a lot further also.  Using a small motorbike instead of a car (or taxis) will save money also.  And as already mentioned it's cheaper to live in the provinces (or a smaller city).  You can buy a condo in CDO for 2 to 5 million (depending upon location and type) but Cebu might cost double that and parts of Manila even more (rental price ratios are similar).  

Be aware that when you get away from major cities medical facilities tend to become smaller and not as well equipped and in rural areas there might only be a clinic and a hospital could be hours away (with limited public transport and no ambulance).

So yes it's 'possible', but it will require some adjustment to your lifestyle.

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

I would look into online teaching before settling for a call-center job at 50K. Call centers can be rough because of the weird shifts and hours. I know of a couple expats who are teaching English online and are earning, on average, 20 to 30 dollars per hour (U.S). Hours are weird for online teaching as well, but at least you're at home while you do it. Also, probably wouldn't run into any issues about needing a work visa and so on. But, if you're married to a Filipina, that wouldn't be an issue if you get the spousal visa.

• Like 1

Chrisfa
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

I would look into online teaching before settling for a call-center job at 50K. Call centers can be rough because of the weird shifts and hours. I know of a couple expats who are teaching English online and are earning, on average, 20 to 30 dollars per hour (U.S). Hours are weird for online teaching as well, but at least you're at home while you do it. Also, probably wouldn't run into any issues about needing a work visa and so on. But, if you're married to a Filipina, that wouldn't be an issue if you get the spousal visa.

I've seen a couple of those things but I thought it's too good to be true. That would be amazing. 

Would you know how to get one of these jobs? Or anywhere that I could find reliable info

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Chrisfa said:

Would you know how to get one of these jobs? Or anywhere that I could find reliable info

I don't know. But, I will ask someone who does. I will try to get some more info today. If I can, I will let you know.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Chrisfa said:

Would you know how to get one of these jobs?

Call centers are a matter of showing up and getting an interview.  If they like you and you speak English as your first language then 50K a month could be achieved in a short time.  You can support a family on that but it is an old joke that when you ask "how much is enough?" the answer in the Philippines is "Just a little bit more."

The online English teaching jobs are sort of a "business for self" arrangement.  You join a company that sends you a few leads and then you develop your own client list depending on your reviews and propaganda and return clients.  I do know a fellow who built his online English teaching career from about $100 a month to over US$1,000 a month in about a year.  He worked hard at it.  He worked harder than I would want to.

A call center is a good place to get a start.  That job is not for everyone.  Many foreigners can't take it.  The call centers are in many cities around the Philippines so you are not limited to Manila.  Good luck.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Call centers are a matter of showing up and getting an interview.

Really? Is he a Filipino citizen as I did not see that.

No work permit or visa? Competing with others who have years of experience as a call center agent? The OP says as a trainee call center manager so big difference and if not Filipino the terminology used in call centers for a start us a hurdle. 

35 minutes ago, Chrisfa said:

I've seen a couple of those things but I thought it's too good to be true. That would be amazing. 

I know people who do it and one who got through the online process and hired only a week or two ago but if you dont have top rated internet forget it. 

1 hour ago, Chrisfa said:

I believe 50k pesos would be more than enough but neither her or I have ever lived in a big Filipino city.

So many variables. Are you going to buy a condo or home or rent? What is your lifestyle?  A family renting I say no to 50K so much homework as to where you are intending to live.