Utilities – Badian

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted

I understand that all utilities can be a bit hit and miss in the Phils. However, I also read that Badian has its own Hydro Electric Power plant – giving an uninterrupted (and cheaper) electricity supply - true/false? Your thoughts please?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, CockneyRebel said:

I also read that Badian has its own Hydro Electric Power plant

Valencia, near Dumaguete, has its own GeoThermal Power Plant.  Ask the guys from Valencia how many brown outs they get compared to other places.  :hystery:

This is Philippines.  You have to throw out everything you know about common sense and start the learning process from the Filipino point of view.  Or we can ask @Jack Peterson Jack, why does Valencia get a brownout when the power is shut off in Amlan, when the dang power comes from Valencia?  (He knows this kind of thing :cheersty: )

• Like 2

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Valencia, near Dumaguete, has its own GeoThermal Power Plant.  Ask the guys from Valencia how many brown outs they get compared to other places.  :hystery:

This is Philippines.  You have to throw out everything you know about common sense and start the learning process from the Filipino point of view.  Or we can ask @Jack Peterson Jack, why does Valencia get a brownout when the power is shut off in Amlan, when the dang power comes from Valencia?  (He knows this kind of thing :cheersty: )

Brown-out? wow my Phils lexicon is growing all the time:56da64a10ceee_1(235):

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, CockneyRebel said:

Brown-out? wow my Phils lexicon is growing all the time:56da64a10ceee_1(235):

All over the Philippines we have rolling brownouts whereas each area takes it in turns to have a power cut,so even if an area is self sufficient it has to take it`s turn.

Edited by sonjack2847
spelling
  • Like 2

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

All over the Philippines we have rolling brownouts whereas each area takes it in turns to have a power cut,so even if an area is self sufficient it has to take it`s turn.

Oh, so what I have read about Badian is not actually the case?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We live in Moalboal, about 10 km north of Badian.  I think that Badian electric coverage is supplied by Cebu Electric Coop, the same as Moalboal.  CEBECO has putting in a new main line along the National Highway for several months now.  Brown outs have been scheduled in advance and usually occur on a Saturday from 8am to 5 pm. Other than those scheduled we have had very few outages and those lasted only a short time ranging from a few minutes to less than an hour.  You may find more information by checking the following website.  If they do have a hydro plant I would expect it is used to supply power to the entire grid as opposed to just local users.  But that is supposition only.

http://www.cebeco1.com.ph/

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Valencia, near Dumaguete, has its own GeoThermal Power Plant. 

The power goes into the Grid and you buy it from the Distributor in this case (Valencia) Noreco II

It is like most things, we buy a manufactured thing from a distributor, not the maker :wink:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, CockneyRebel said:

Oh, so what I have read about Badian is not actually the case?

Each area of the Philippines can have a different experience and what I experience here in Dumaguete the members on Cebu may find different.This is not just restricted to the electrical supply many other things are different.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Each area of the Philippines can have a different experience and what I experience here in Dumaguete the members on Cebu may find different.This is not just restricted to the electrical supply many other things are different.

Agreed.  Here in iloilo, we have a pretty reliable supply (relatively speaking) and don't seem to have many scheduled brownouts due to supply restraints, although we do have regular scheduled maintenance and perhaps the power company are switched on (pun) and co-ordinate the events to minimise disruption (unlikely I know given where we are) but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt!

• Like 1

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

We live in Moalboal, about 10 km north of Badian.  I think that Badian electric coverage is supplied by Cebu Electric Coop, the same as Moalboal.  CEBECO has putting in a new main line along the National Highway for several months now.  Brown outs have been scheduled in advance and usually occur on a Saturday from 8am to 5 pm. Other than those scheduled we have had very few outages and those lasted only a short time ranging from a few minutes to less than an hour.  You may find more information by checking the following website.  If they do have a hydro plant I would expect it is used to supply power to the entire grid as opposed to just local users.  But that is supposition only.

http://www.cebeco1.com.ph/

Thanks Mike, I just read the that the power  seems to be generated by a waterfall rather than a conventional dam arrangement. So no idea how much this limits electricity generation. But anyway from what you say it may not be as much as an issue as I thought. Not as much as internet speed I suspect!