Cabinetmaker in Cebu or Bohol

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Need kitchen cabinets made from something termites won't eat. The wife found a place in Mandaue where that is done but it seems too expensive. Does anyone have a referral for me?

Edited by Guy F.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Need kitchen cabinets made from something termites won't eat. The wife found a place in Mandaue where that is done but it seems too expensive. Does anyone have a referral for me?

Most use concrete to stop the little blighters

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gary D said:

Most use concrete to stop the little blighters

I've never seen kitchen cabinets made from concrete. I don't think that would be acceptable for The Little Woman.:hystery:

Edited by Guy F.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We sent ours by BB from the UK as availability in the Philippines is very limited and very very expensive.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Prior to finishing, treat the cabinets with multiple coats of clear solignum, allowing each coat to soak into the wood.  Allow the cabinets to dry completely then finish with Hudson Top Coat.  Solignum is a termite preventative and comes in either clear or brown, make sure you use the clear!  Top Coat is a two part acrylic polyurethane finish that is very durable and is tough enough to be used as floor finish.   It also has a very strong odor so you need lots of ventilation, best to do it outdoors when you have a little breeze.  The finish is gloss but you can wet sand using 600 grit paper to get a satin finish if desired.  I would also recommend that the cabinet carcass be built using 3/4 marine plywood to prevent warping or delamination due to high humidity.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted

Is not solignum very poisonus??

I would not feel comfortable to use that in my kitchen!

• Hmm thinking 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Viking said:

I agree.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The other option is to use a material they can't eat such as a hardwood.

• 1 month later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 1/23/2019 at 7:11 AM, Mike J said:

Prior to finishing, treat the cabinets with multiple coats of clear solignum, allowing each coat to soak into the wood.  Allow the cabinets to dry completely then finish with Hudson Top Coat.  Solignum is a termite preventative and comes in either clear or brown, make sure you use the clear!  Top Coat is a two part acrylic polyurethane finish that is very durable and is tough enough to be used as floor finish.   It also has a very strong odor so you need lots of ventilation, best to do it outdoors when you have a little breeze.  The finish is gloss but you can wet sand using 600 grit paper to get a satin finish if desired.  I would also recommend that the cabinet carcass be built using 3/4 marine plywood to prevent warping or delamination due to high humidity.

Hudson top coat, not seen that before. Who stocks it?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 1/23/2019 at 4:38 PM, Viking said:

Hope not, my Cages for our Turkeys are painted with that.