Just arrived in the Philippines, now trying to decide where to live

Jimmyzr1
Posted
Posted

Hello, I arrived in the Philippines on 1/15/2018 and my girlfriend, her son and I are trying to decide where in this country to live? We met online in May, I traveled around the country a little (30 days) with her in September/ October, we visited Davao City, Iloilo, Tagaytay, Subic, only a day near Clark because of a Typhoon, a a few days in Manila. We are now staying near her family in Malolos, Bulacan, which I’m starting to get very bored with, actually both of us are.  We will be staying here until mid-April until her son is finished with the school year. 

We are hoping to find as safe an area as possible, with enough foreigners, where I will not get bored, hopefully with wives or girlfriends that have expat group get togethers, possibly as well. Another important thing, I would like to find a good, private school for her son to attend, one where her son would not get bored, and where they actually teach the students something. Another thing, it would be nice to be close enough  to an airport, good hospital care, as well. My favorite hobby in the US was metal detecting, so if close enough to a nice and safe beach area would be great as well. I would hope to make friends with other expats that may want to go out metal detecting as well, for security and to enjoy the hobby. 

We would prefer to live in a safe housing area instead of condos as well. We are looking to rent as well. We know, this is asking a lot, but I just sold everything in California and moved here, hoping for a less stressful and enjoyable life. Oh, one more thing, I am a US veteran as well and can use VA facilities as well, on occasion for checkups, but don’t have to live near Manila, but may need medical insurance as well. Thanks, I appreciate your time. Jim

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Jimmy

I'm sure that you will get some sound advice from members

Dumaguete in Negro's is quite a popular place for Expats and it's surrounding area's

Just don't go unearthing something of value or the whole of Philippines will descend.:whistling:

regards JB  :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm biased but I reckon Iloilo has a good balance of enough and not too much for pretty much everything -  costs are still reasonable too but are rising as the city is

graham59
Posted
Posted

Sounds like Angeles City would be the best match for you sir. :thumbsup:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

If you start flashing the metal detector , the locals might think that you are looking for yamashita treasure , there is a legend about a Japanese general hiding a ton of gold and valuables .

I've chosen the Davao area to live , I suppose everyone has their own ideas of where to live 

• Like 3

Jimmyzr1
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, bastonjock said:

If you start flashing the metal detector , the locals might think that you are looking for yamashita treasure , there is a legend about a Japanese general hiding a ton of gold and valuables .

I've chosen the Davao area to live , I suppose everyone has their own ideas of where to live 

I would want to make some foreign friends to go metal detecting with for security and would only be detecting beach areas, looking for either jewelry or maybe old Spanish shipwreck coins. We enjoyed Davao, but girlfriend wonders, if sh*t hits the fan there, would it be safe, especially after Duterte leaves office?

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

IloIlo would be my choice, big enough city that there's plenty to do, developing quite fast. Close to a lot of places for a day trip, Guimaras and a lot of nice places in Antique (where I live now). Planty of beaches for your metal detecting. But the wife is dragging me back to Luzon, near Bulacan lol.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, graham59 said:

Sounds like Angeles City would be the best match for you sir. :thumbsup:

Have you been to Angeles City lately? Just wondering cuz the last time I was there I was in pretty horrendous traffic.:angry_80_anim_gif:

graham59
Posted
Posted

I was last there 6 weeks ago (and once lived there for 3 years).

I walk more or less everywhere in AC, so traffic is not much of an issue.  :thumbsup:

Clermont
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

IloIlo would be my choice, big enough city that there's plenty to do, developing quite fast. Close to a lot of places for a day trip, Guimaras and a lot of nice places in Antique (where I live now). Planty of beaches for your metal detecting. But the wife is dragging me back to Luzon, near Bulacan lol.

I can vouch for your recommendation on places to live/stay. We just spent the Christmas break over there and had a wonderful time with another expat and his wife. Antique is a bit short on foreigner's, but then again we never really looked, worth a look see. :thumbsup:

• Like 1