Power

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

I know Philippines is on a 220 system but I wanted to bring some kitchen appliences, stereo, ect with me. Will all these run if I use a step down converter and what type of converter should I use?

Youngster
Posted
Posted

I'm also taking a small appliance back this month and will be using a step down converter.  It shouldn't be a problem as long as the converter at least matches capacity load of your appliance.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Roadhawg said:

I know Philippines is on a 220 system but I wanted to bring some kitchen appliences, stereo, ect with me. Will all these run if I use a step down converter and what type of converter should I use?

Yes, they will all work.  Until you accidentally plug them into a 220 and fry them!  Ben der, dun dat!  :smile:

AVRs  (Automatic Voltage Regulator) are widely available here at a decent price (compared to US) and are very heavy, so IMHO, buy them here.  You need to buy 1.5 times the wattage you will plug into it, I believe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

AVRs  (Automatic Voltage Regulator) are widely available here at a decent price (compared to US) and are very heavy, so IMHO, buy them here.  You need to buy 1.5 times the wattage you will plug into it, I believe.

Excellent advice, widely available and not too expensive.  Good idea to also use a power strip that will kick off with high voltage or surge.  We had two 220 volt video players fail so I checked the voltage.  It was 257. :shock_40_anim_gif:  Notified the power company and they adjusted the voltage back down at the nearest transformer.  Also be aware that proper grounding is often missing here.  You may want to bring a supply of fuses if your equipment is uses them.

• Thanks 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Budget-wise, realize that you'll be using more electricity than you may think with the converter. I'm sure an electrical whiz here can tell you how much.

Also, aesthetically, the converters are ugly, usually bulky things to have stationed on your counter top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Budget-wise, realize that you'll be using more electricity than you may think with the converter. I'm sure an electrical whiz here can tell you how much.

Also, aesthetically, the converters are ugly, usually bulky things to have stationed on your counter top.

Also I think those big, heavy, converters continue to burn electricity if you don't unplug them after you use them. The one I have gets really hot when I forget to unplug it.:89:

• Like 1

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice. Since these are for kitchen appliances i'll won't leave them plugged in when not using them, I just hate to leave them behind

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Also I think those big, heavy, converters continue to burn electricity if you don't unplug them after you use them. The one I have gets really hot when I forget to unplug it.:89:

I noticed the same thing and wondered how much electricity was being converted to heat.  Actually a double whammy because then you need fans or aircon to dissipate the heat from the step down transformer. :angry:

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 2/14/2019 at 12:48 AM, Roadhawg said:

Thanks for the advice. Since these are for kitchen appliances i'll won't leave them plugged in when not using them, I just hate to leave them behind

There were some things we couldn't leave behind in good conscience. A Kitchenaid mixer with all of the fixin's was one. Another Kitchenaid food processor. We even brought an almost-new coffee grinder because I couldn't bear to chuck it.

What we find, though, is that since we shipped our televisions and other things and use step-downs for them, we often have to hunt up a transformer when we want to use an appliance. It's okay for us, but woe unto him who wants to grind some coffee without our input! BAM!

I think it was someone here who gave a sage piece of advice about bringing appliances from different voltage countries: a quick wrap of red electrical tape around the plug or the wire near the plug will serve as an easy reminder not to plug the appliance in directly.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I think it was someone here who gave a sage piece of advice about bringing appliances from different voltage countries: a quick wrap of red electrical tape around the plug or the wire near the plug will serve as an easy reminder not to plug the appliance in directly.

Are the plugs the same for the outlets from different countries. I know my Aussie stuff need adaptors but voltage is not an issue.