Less you forget

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)

I thought I'd remind some of you what you are missing back "home "

The alarm goes off at 5.30am , I shower and shave then dress and stumble down the stairs, I make breakfast and a packed lunch , as I drink my tea I check my emails and pda, same old stuff just a different day 

I put on my boots and walk out to my van , scrape the ice of the windscreen and wipe the mirrors I pack my stuff and off I go , first drive is about 65 miles , traffic is not too bad as the kids are on holiday , I arrive at a medical center , this one treats sexual health , beware of the blood stained swabs discarded by the back door, I have to fix the security lights , so I pull the extending ladder off of the vand roof , even with gloves on it starts to feel cold , I then have to search for the fuse board , no one knows where they all are 3 different departments all bitching at each other , I trace the board and fix the light,pack up sign the chitty and off I go ,next job is up the motorway, the bitching here is even worse , I fit a new power point and head off to my last job of the day , phone rings , can you look at another problem ,the guy cant fix it ,I head there , the other bloke a so called electrician cannot solve it ( I call guys like that light bulb changers ) 30 mins I track down the fault, I do some reports and head home 

So what kind of day have you guys had ?

Edited by bastonjock
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

I did not have to scape the ice off this morning ,a balmy 7 degrees this morning at 5.55am

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just 24 working days left , and I am so excited, but getting a little stressed out booking at holidays .

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

and the fact that every night you had to unload your van or have no tools the next day.

Several tradies who were using trailers set up with all of their tools had the whole trailer stolen from them over the last year around Melbourne.  It seems to have stopped for now, not sure why.  But even with insurance... that would really hurt a guys abilty to start working again.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The only chance I have of having to scrape ice off the windows is if the wife turns the A/C down too low!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I thought I'd remind some of you what you are missing back "home "

The alarm goes off at 5.30am , I shower and shave then dress and stumble down the stairs, I make breakfast and a packed lunch , as I drink my tea I check my emails and pda, same old stuff just a different day 

I put on my boots and walk out to my van , scrape the ice of the windscreen and wipe the mirrors I pack my stuff and off I go , first drive is about 65 miles , traffic is not too bad as the kids are on holiday , I arrive at a medical center , this one treats sexual health , beware of the blood stained swabs discarded by the back door, I have to fix the security lights , so I pull the extending ladder off of the vand roof , even with gloves on it starts to feel cold , I then have to search for the fuse board , no one knows where they all are 3 different departments all bitching at each other , I trace the board and fix the light,pack up sign the chitty and off I go ,next job is up the motorway, the bitching here is even worse , I fit a new power point and head off to my last job of the day , phone rings , can you look at another problem ,the guy cant fix it ,I head there , the other bloke a so called electrician cannot solve it ( I call guys like that light bulb changers ) 30 mins I track down the fault, I do some reports and head home 

Yeah, who'd believe it but I kind of miss those days. Many days here I feel utterly useless.

Some days, i even miss my last supervisor who was the kind of guy who'd pat you on the back and say, "WE have to get this done for  the property manager. I have a meeting. See you later."

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

No I am not missing that.I had years of the same experience although in Gas/Plumbing.Given the choice I will never go back to dealing with idiot architects and site agents/staff who don`t have a clue and blame the messenger.Add to that all the red tape associated with the job and the fact that every night you had to unload your van or have no tools the next day.So I will ask you politely not to try and convince me to come back again.:whistling:

Your talking about the Philippines yes.

• I'm Confused 1