Renting a Home, then Buying a home at Davao City,,,

Cool ICE-Philippines
Posted
Posted

Hello Bob yes I've been in those parts  ut never knew of the water problem,,, and seen over priced homes through third party property  management,,, am increasingly desiring building and a larger condo maybe a plus, condos their are small. The water supply is a problem, I think if I should build near or at Calinan perhaps a well would be more sufficient?,,, I was their 4 or 5 times before, and the hot just gets hotter,,,  it seems like the area is growing rapidly,,, thanks for the heads up

Anselm
Posted
Posted

Generally the west side of Davao has less water problems than the centre and east as that's where the wells are (Dumoy). 

Calinan - depends where you are. A few areas are off grid. I just bought some land right up in the mountains and it's a matter of tapping some pipes into a spring. A well might be good, but I think water up that way is generally quite good. Always was fine in Mintal area... in my experience.

As for buying homes, I find most of the ones you can buy follow a certain formula that doesn't appeal to me - concrete boxes with low roofs and that require aircon cooling - and if you can find a good builder, it'll be cheaper to do it yourself. If you haven't got a good builder, then it gets difficult...

i am bob
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Cool ICE-Philippines said:

Hello Bob yes I've been in those parts  ut never knew of the water problem,,, and seen over priced homes through third party property  management,,, am increasingly desiring building and a larger condo maybe a plus, condos their are small. The water supply is a problem, I think if I should build near or at Calinan perhaps a well would be more sufficient?,,, I was their 4 or 5 times before, and the hot just gets hotter,,,  it seems like the area is growing rapidly,,, thanks for the heads up

Calinan is a nice area...  Especially if you are just out of town...  Friends of mine just built there (they did it themselves with their sons and a few other relatives) and love it..!  I'm considering it myself as our permanent home I'm married - just to avoid the future Titas and friends who think I'm rich...  Lol!  The first house will be in Toril near one of the colleges...    Not to watch the young girls but as this house will become an income stream for my asawa once I'm gone...  Teachers make good renters and so do college girls when daddy is paying the rent and damages...  Hopefully I'll have a clean flow but city water is usually no problem in Toril...  Once i do my mass publishing and build my income stream, that's when I'll build THE house...  Cash...  Hopefully rural enough with a flow on h the property but with decent internet access...   (Almost off topic...  Lol!)

Cool ICE-Philippines
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey Bob, yes I am familiar with Toril and have friends there, Calinan was my first choice, easy access, in between, but it all depends on internet access, I use the internet as an important tool.for our businesses,,, we will be departing Alaska by late October this year, for about 5 months preparing, excavating building and farming, (well my inlaws), but at this time.we will be going back and forth for the first year or two, untill we get settled down, as for business purposes, we have much to send from here as far as equipment is concerned, but have managed to find higher quality industrial equipment at Singapore, so we may go that route for the equipment,,,, as far as business Banking is concerned, I'm not familiar with Davaos banking system, but have been reading a bit about it,,,dont know which bank to select for business purposes,,, theirs so many their,,, thanks again,,,

Edited by Cool ICE-Philippines

• 3 months later...
Cool ICE-Philippines
Posted
Posted

I know people that live there and what's important for.me is the water quality, Internet connectivity, also easy access to shopping ctrs and school,,, I'm aware of the property requirements there at Davao, I am more interested in a home for rent then buying until we can find a decent property,,, we will be developing our first phase in business development, licensing, property purchase for the building, etc,,, purchasing of  industrial equipments,,,etc...but will definitely be looking Into purchasing  a home,,, either building or a fine home already built,,, thanks for the info, much needed info,,, much thanks and alot of salmon running here in Alaska,,,got to get going and thanks again,,,

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is the closest topic I could find for this post.

On Sunday the contractor finally began construction on our new home. He and 9 of his crew killed a goat and spread its blood over the house site, killed a duck and we all sat down and ate our fill. Apparently that is a tradition. L and I drank wine and Tanduay - the rest of the rum was saved for the boys for after work was done for the day.:cheers:

It is on leased land (99 years!) and, for now, the house will be in my name only. It was a bit of a hassle regarding ownership at the beginning because the builder - as many here - believed that foreigners can not own homes, only condos. My lawyer explained the laws to him quoting chapter and verse and then he was okay.

Then he visited the city engineers to begin the process of building permit application and they flat told him foreigners cannot build homes. He asked to see a supervisor and the story was repeated and on up the bureaucratic ladder one more step with same result. So my lawyer contacted someone at or near the top of their food chain there and explained again, chapter and verse about Philippine law. They finally saw the light and accepted that this could, in fact, be done. She (the lawyer) was really pissed that these guys initially would not listen to her about the law until she virtually stuck their heads into the statue books.

So, maybe in about six months or so, we will have a small, but nice new home to move into on the shoulder of Mt. Apo just outside of Tugbok (between Calinan and Mintal). It's rural, mostly quiet (now) with no disco, only distant karaoke - and only occasionally, the few dogs only bark at intruders for a few minutes, then stop. I know there will be hurdles along the way, but I think the tallest ones have been breached.:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cool ICE-Philippines
Posted
Posted

I'm thankful for your presistance,,, patience is a virtue,,,yes we are familiar with that area,,,pass but their every week to go to the city,,just north of Calinan Is the province of Tamugan,,, about 35 minutes north of Calinan,,, and your right about the noisy stuff,,, peace be to you my friend,,, I do have alot of Canadian friends from all over Canada,,,,I'm sure you miss home as well,, fall time here and we will be arriving in late October,,, hoping we can meet up sometimes,,, would be very nice,,, just wanting to know about leads for renting a nice home near the coast,,or the northern beaches south of Davao,,,been looking online but they seem to be over priced,,, guess the middle men are taking their share,,,,but take good care,,,its hunting g season here in Ak,,, hopi g to see you sometime,,,

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cool ICE-Philippines said:

I'm thankful for your presistance,,, patience is a virtue,,,yes we are familiar with that area,,,pass but their every week to go to the city,,just north of Calinan Is the province of Tamugan,,, about 35 minutes north of Calinan,,, and your right about the noisy stuff,,, peace be to you my friend,,, I do have alot of Canadian friends from all over Canada,,,,I'm sure you miss home as well,, fall time here and we will be arriving in late October,,, hoping we can meet up sometimes,,, would be very nice,,, just wanting to know about leads for renting a nice home near the coast,,or the northern beaches south of Davao,,,been looking online but they seem to be over priced,,, guess the middle men are taking their share,,,,but take good care,,,its hunting g season here in Ak,,, hopi g to see you sometime,,,

Hi Ice... thanks for your kind comments.

I haven't actually lived in the Great White North for decades - mostly in USA, then in the South Pacific sailing from '93 until 3 years ago. I miss the clean air, beautiful scenery clean water (mostly) and really nice people. But I don't miss the below zero (Fahrenheit) winter temps and walking uphill to school through 3 feet of snow and then back home from school uphill through 3 feet of snow.:89:

My SO and I looked for several months for a place to rent - not near water, just in a convenient location, quiet as possible (good luck in the city!). So I know nothing about waterfront rentals here. And you are right - prices seem fairly high all around for decent rentals here - over US$500 and up. And not many houses for rent - mostly tiny condos.I had two realtors looking for me and for $500, most of them were rubbish - bad locations, way small or poorly constructed. I saw nice places listed for closer to $1,000/month, but that was beyond what I wanted to pay. And I think they were in developments - no waterfront. There might be places on Samal Island, but then there is the big hassle of having to take a ferry each way - I did that for two years - too long!

So you are a hunter? Catch yourself some sweet venison or elk and eat some for me. Maybe some king salmon and king crab legs too!

Yeah, we can probably meet up. We can share a couple beers and swap lies...hehehe... If you are around in maybe May or June, you can also come to our house warming party and enjoy bbq pig (lechon) and yellowfin tuna (bariles)?

Edited by Tommy T.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

This is the closest topic I could find for this post.

On Sunday the contractor finally began construction on our new home. He and 9 of his crew killed a goat and spread its blood over the house site, killed a duck and we all sat down and ate our fill. Apparently that is a tradition. L and I drank wine and Tanduay - the rest of the rum was saved for the boys for after work was done for the day.:cheers:

It is on leased land (99 years!) and, for now, the house will be in my name only. It was a bit of a hassle regarding ownership at the beginning because the builder - as many here - believed that foreigners can not own homes, only condos. My lawyer explained the laws to him quoting chapter and verse and then he was okay.

Then he visited the city engineers to begin the process of building permit application and they flat told him foreigners cannot build homes. He asked to see a supervisor and the story was repeated and on up the bureaucratic ladder one more step with same result. So my lawyer contacted someone at or near the top of their food chain there and explained again, chapter and verse about Philippine law. They finally saw the light and accepted that this could, in fact, be done. She (the lawyer) was really pissed that these guys initially would not listen to her about the law until she virtually stuck their heads into the statue books.

So, maybe in about six months or so, we will have a small, but nice new home to move into on the shoulder of Mt. Apo just outside of Tugbok (between Calinan and Mintal). It's rural, mostly quiet (now) with no disco, only distant karaoke - and only occasionally, the few dogs only bark at intruders for a few minutes, then stop. I know there will be hurdles along the way, but I think the tallest ones have been breached.:smile:

I assume the lease is in L's name as only a national can lease for 99 years. As a foreigner you are only allowed 25 years plus 25 year extension. Yes you can own the building but keep all building receipts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

It was a bit of a hassle regarding ownership at the beginning because the builder - as many here - believed that foreigners can not own homes, only condos.

In the 2 instances I know of, where a foreigner has built and owned a home on leased land,  The actual owner of the property has the right to come on his land with about a week's notice and check the land and house for any violations of the lease.  In these two cases, the owners pop by every Sunday to "check the property" and do not leave until the foreigner has plied them with sufficient Red Horse.  Your mileage will vary, of course.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1