Taking the Michael

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

In my eyes guys like him can put businesses under and cost others additional hardship. I've seen it when guys with old contracts take six months off on full pay for sickness when there's nothing wrong with them. His work then gets handed to someone else who is already over worked or the company has to employ someone to cover for him which in a small business can break the bank. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Viking said:

Its not something he did by mistake, he knew very well what he was doing so why feel sorry for him? He was taking advantage of his friends kindness and now its time for him to face the consequenses of his actions.

Normally I would agree with what you are saying but I think this guy really was asking for it.

I didn't say I felt sorry for him.

My issue is not what the guilty part did, but how the OP dealt with it.  I simply don't agree with telling management about another employee's behavious except in exceptional circumstances.  It is the way I was brought up - if we told tales on others we could expect to receive at least the same punishment as them - again, the caveat is always exceptional circumstances excepted. 

Let's not forget the OP asked our opinions, we are merely giving them. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

In my eyes guys like him can put businesses under and cost others additional hardship. I've seen it when guys with old contracts take six months off on full pay for sickness when there's nothing wrong with them. His work then gets handed to someone else who is already over worked or the company has to employ someone to cover for him which in a small business can break the bank. 

Undoubtedly, but the question is was it the right thing to do to go to management - As stated, I would have given him the ultimatum and only then gone to management.  

Yoi know the old saying, snitches get stitches! 

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I didn't say I felt sorry for him.

My issue is not what the guilty part did, but how the OP dealt with it.  I simply don't agree with telling management about another employee's behavious except in exceptional circumstances.  It is the way I was brought up - if we told tales on others we could expect to receive at least the same punishment as them - again, the caveat is always exceptional circumstances excepted. 

Let's not forget the OP asked our opinions, we are merely giving them. 

But why cover up for him if he did wrong on purpose, something he knew was wrong? I agree that it is not right to tell management when someone make a mistake, but to me , this is not a mistake.

Dont do wrong on purpose and there is no risk for you to experience "the same punishment". If you do, buti nga sayo, as they say in Pinas :wink:

I actually think we should not be so afraid of speaking up when someone do wrong, that way we could minimize alot of problems, all the way from corruption to bullying!

I respect your opinion in this matter and I can also to some extent agree with you, but in this case I belive that the "bad" guy got what he deserved. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Viking said:

why cover up for him if he did wrong on purpose, something he knew was wrong?

In my day if he had not bucked up his attitude got himself together he would have been ( Sent to coventry) [ostracized]  :whatever:

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Viking said:

But why cover up for him if he did wrong on purpose, something he knew was wrong? I agree that it is not right to tell management when someone make a mistake, but to me , this is not a mistake.

Dont do wrong on purpose and there is no risk for you to experience "the same punishment". If you do, buti nga sayo, as they say in Pinas :wink:

I actually think we should not be so afraid of speaking up when someone do wrong, that way we could minimize alot of problems, all the way from corruption to bullying!

I respect your opinion in this matter and I can also to some extent agree with you, but in this case I belive that the "bad" guy got what he deserved. 

This is a perfect example for one of the reasons I retired to the Philippines. Now I only have to babysit myself.:dance:

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

It's just my upbringing - telling tales was a no-no and that has stuck with me since. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

This is a perfect example for one of the reasons I retired to the Philippines. Now I only have to babysit myself.:dance:

Yep and now you have a full time (as I do) job

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

Undoubtedly, but the question is was it the right thing to do to go to management - As stated, I would have given him the ultimatum and only then gone to management.  

Yoi know the old saying, snitches get stitches! 

Over the past two years i have had to bail this guy out , i could have dropped him in it on many an occasion but as a general rule i look after my co workers backs 

This guy was taking the pee , he has been with us for two years , he has probably been sick for half of that 

I rang him up last night on his private phone and he answered which is a laugh in itself as he is currently claiming that he has an ear infection which has rendered him almost deaf , i told him what i have done and its up to him to decide what to do

The management incidentally where aware that he was moonlighting for another company, they knew the name of his employer

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't put myself in the middle of it if I am not the employee's supervisor. It is the responsibility of management and his direct supervisor to deal with any performance/fraud issues. One exception that you mentioned was if his work was shoddy and resulted in a safety issue, that should of course be reported.

• Like 3