Growing Veg

Viking
Posted
Posted

Do someone know if its easy to grow vegetables from home in the Philippines? like carrots, long beans, lettuce, bellpeppers and similar things.

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

Do someone know if its easy to grow vegetables from home in the Philippines? like carrots, long beans, lettuce, bellpeppers and similar things.

More often than not they won't take, best to obtain your seeds locally.

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

More often than not they won't take, best to obtain your seeds locally.

Thanks for that info. I think it would be nice to grow some of the vegetables you need. Another reason is that I find most of the vegetables in the market very "dry"

Is this something you guys also have noticed?

roddavis
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Viking said:

Depends on what veg from the States you are trying to grow. Some like lettuce and brussel sprouts require a cooler climate, maybe up in the mountains here. I just got a survival seed pack from the US  that have the most common seeds found. Right now I am growing Cantaloupe, Beefsteak Tomatoes, Lima Beans, and Watermelon, carrots , radish and best of all...Pumpkins. You cant find any out here. Craving pumpkin pie! Right now, all plants are growing and look healthy, but they haven't flowered/fruit yet. Time will tell! 

I found a planting trick to start the garden! If you buy your eggs in a 24 count flat. The paper cups are a good starter. Just fill each cup with good soil, then plant your seeds in the cup and keep watered. After the plants sprout, the plants root grow thru the cups. So when big enough. when the cups are kept moist, they are easy to tear the individual cups out. Just take each cup/plant and dig a small hole in your garden and put cup/plant in the soil. No need to remove the plant from the cup since the roots grow right on thru!:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Zucchini is a vegetable that grows well in the Philippine. Another is eggplants.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, roddavis said:

Depends on what veg from the States you are trying to grow.

I don't think he's American, unless I'm mistaken he's Swedish! :whistling:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

:whistling: Well that's Ok then, as we grow Swede here, They call it squash

• Haha 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When I get seeds from the UK I put them in the ref for a few months. It is quite cool here where I live and I am having differing results. I keep all the seedlings out of the sun. Local seeds are just as hit and miss.

roddavis
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Only if you don't consider California is in the States! Read my flag...oh, its still not working!