Bringing my compound bow to Philippines

Viking
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

What's point of a piece of string and wood if it's illegal to reassemble it.

Maybe it is not illegal to transport it in that condition?

Swedish gunlaws require that  firearms is transported in a way that they are not ready to use rapidly. This means that you need to remove the barrel, bolt or some other vital part. Removing the string can be said to be a vital part of the bow, I suppose. Maybe Philippines has some similar requirements?

Would it not be possible to store the bow at the archerclub? Then there would be no need to transport it:

Edited by Viking
spelling

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I could not find a law specifically mentioning bows, but OLX and Lazada both sell compound bows.  So they must not be illegal... but I would not be surprised if registration was required.  After all even chainsaws have to be registered.  I found mention of archery clubs, so someone is shooting. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

What you must consider in these cases is what you are allowed to do as a foreigner, not what the locals do. It's like I can't own a gun in tbe US as a foreigner unlike the locals.

• Like 2

Jimbouk
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the replies especially Jack. It looks like getting my bow to the Philippines will be a lot more trouble than it is worth! :(

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I've bought an air powered pellet rifle and a few sling shots for my son. So far the NBI hasn't deemed us security threats.:smile: 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jimbouk said:

lot more trouble than it is worth! :(

Here is another thought to throw into the mix. I did a google search and there are a lot of archery ranges (indoor mostly). But one thing to consider, depending on where you plan on settling down, is there one near you to make it worthwhile? I know I love to sail, live less than 10k from the Manila Yacht club, but traffic just makes it to big a hassle to sail much. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Jimbouk
Posted
Posted

There aren't any clubs that I am aware of. I did a quick search before and only found a university club in Manila. I am heading to deepest, darkest Mindanao.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jimbouk said:

There aren't any clubs that I am aware of. I did a quick search before and only found a university club in Manila. I am heading to deepest, darkest Mindanao.

How deep and dark in Mindanao?  There are archery clubs in Davao and Cagayan De Oro

(NB I have no personal experience with either of these as I didn't bring a bow with me but I did think about it, hence the links).

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more.

https://www.facebook.com/Mogchs-Archery-Club-433706693485359/

https://www.facebook.com/davaoarcheryclub/

• Like 1

Jimbouk
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the links Geoff! Although I am more of a field archer. I will be in Butuan City.

Cheers,

Jimbo (UK)

• Like 3