Investment Funds

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dear Members

I am in a fortunate position to have a lump sum to invest in June 2019. I would like to invest it in a Sunlife, Prudential like fund that can pay a monthly income when/if required in 4 years time. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had experience of investing in such policies in the Philippines and what returns can be expected.

I have looked at buying a couple of houses to use as student accommodation but to be honest the returns are low (9 students per houses x 2 houses x Php 1,200/month each = Php 21,600 per month - bills Php 8,000 = Php 13,600 per month) so wanted to see if a fund could match that and if so how much I would need to invest.

I would appreciate any advice.

Paul

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Dear Members

I am in a fortunate position to have a lump sum to invest in June 2019. I would like to invest it in a Sunlife, Prudential like fund that can pay a monthly income when/if required in 4 years time. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had experience of investing in such policies in the Philippines and what returns can be expected.

I have looked at buying a couple of houses to use as student accommodation but to be honest the returns are low (9 students per houses x 2 houses x Php 1,200/month each = Php 21,600 per month - bills Php 8,000 = Php 13,600 per month) so wanted to see if a fund could match that and if so how much I would need to invest.

I would appreciate any advice.

Paul

You technically will have to file a Philippine tax return for profit on the rentals, right?

My wife would like to have a rental property but I don't like the idea.  I will keep most of my investments outside PH.

My BIL has an apartment house in Baguio that caters to students.  It can be a lot of work at times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

My wife put some money in to one of these type of funds and so far the profit has been a 100% lose.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

There is not much out there, I will have a lump some this coming month and I will just put that in a 1 year fixed rate.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I will keep most of my investments outside PH.

Excellent advice.  The Philippines has an authoritarian regime which means without the normal checks and balances.  They can arbitrarily change the rules including sudden increases in taxes.  Spend money in the Philippines, but earn it (interest, dividends, annuities) elsewhere.  Personally, I anticipate a very large drop in the global economy.  I am keeping a significant portion of our investment portfolio in cash and cash equivalents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 4/3/2019 at 11:16 AM, JJReyes said:

Excellent advice.  The Philippines has an authoritarian regime which means without the normal checks and balances.  They can arbitrarily change the rules including sudden increases in taxes.  Spend money in the Philippines, but earn it (interest, dividends, annuities) elsewhere.  Personally, I anticipate a very large drop in the global economy.  I am keeping a significant portion of our investment portfolio in cash and cash equivalents. 

The stock markets could have a major break either way. Continue on for the next 5-10 years with all time highs or have a huge 50% plus correction. Good arguments can be made on both sides. And which way it goes depends a great deal on politicians and other things which are difficult to predict. That is why my investment adviser has me mostly in index funds but with enough PUT options to protect me if the market takes a major downturn. Kind of like insurance. If you stay in a cash position then you are losing money from monetary inflation. i don't trust bond's anymore since the interest rates are so low and if for some reason interest rates spike up you lose a great deal off the principal of the bond.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 4/3/2019 at 10:17 PM, PaulB said:

I would like to invest it in a Sunlife, Prudential like fund

I looked into that 12 years ago.  The reason was that the Sunlife fund invested in Philippine Legacy Investments which was a high rate of return.  I thought if Sunlife was in it then it must be good.  I decided to skip the middle man and go straight to Legacy Investments.  It was a pyramid scam and I lost a bundle.  But the point is, investing in the same high risk scam via a Sunlife fund would have yielded the same result.  Now I keep my money in Canadian Bank run mutual funds.  Low return.  High safety.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some good information from JJ. and others. I found some very good financial news by googling “ Philippine national debt”. There are a number of excellent articles outlining current conditions and future economic outlooks for the PI. I might add it’s quite an eye opener.

Edited by nor cal mike
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, nor cal mike said:

Some good information from JJ. I found some very good financial news by googling “ Philippine national debt”. There are a number of excellent articles outlining current conditions and future economic outlooks for the PI. I might add it’s quite an eye opener.

China 🇨🇳