Bug repelent

Hector
Posted
Posted

So it's my second week here and I noticed that I'm a "bug" Buffett. The first few days nothing and now I get bites on my legs and arms mostly just above my ankles, now my calves and arms. I have tried OFF in cream form but it seems not to work. back in the US I used to use OFF deep woods in spray form but I can't seem to locate any products that are spray. Please help.  

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hector said:

So it's my second week here and I noticed that I'm a "bug" Buffett. The first few days nothing and now I get bites on my legs and arms mostly just above my ankles, now my calves and arms. I have tried OFF in cream form but it seems not to work. back in the US I used to use OFF deep woods in spray form but I can't seem to locate any products that are spray. Please help.  

First thing you might want to do is check the expiration date on the back label. Although it usually holds potency over time in some  climates, I'm not sure about chemical life span efficacy in the tropics.  If you bought it locally where there is very low stock turnover, it might be weaker than normal.

My recent purchases this year were dated : 02/04/22  (DDMMYY) and work effectively. "OFF !  Overtime", which is supposedly good for 8 hours.

But since my local mosqie stealth squadron runs a 24/7 operation, I usually wear long pants and sleeves with enough fabric depth to prevent penetration. They usually get through the tropical weight fabrics I sometimes wear. With heavier fabric, and if no A/C, you need to be in the wind or under a fan. Even with a fan, they will come at you in any sheltered leeward chinks they can find in your chemical or physical armor, so keep your Vicks on hand.

One of the newer forum members I meet up with, tells me that he can't find any spray form applicators either. Only lotion, so far.

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hector said:

Hi Hector,  I use "OFF' in spray form but I just make it myself.   Go to a mall selling perfumes etc or even to a pharmacy and purchase an empty spray bottle, mine are plastic and cost about 50 peso.  Drop some 'OFF' into the bottle and add a little hot water and shake well. Once dissolved just top up the spray bottle and you are ready to go.   Very effective and also works out much cheaper than using the lotion all of the time.

Just to add, try not to buy a very small bottle as these have a narrower tube inside which can get blocked.  Just trial and error the mix until you get it how you want it.

Edited by Eddie1
Additional Info.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I use off ,i never thought of making a do it yourself! Very good idea ! As like most expats i am a walking mosquito magnet ! When i water the garden its pyjama bottoms and off on arms and neck etc ! We use insect killers with the bluelights 1 in the living room ,1 downstairs, and 1 in our outside kitchen. All very effective ! Best thing i use for bites is sudcrem its very fast working ! 

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

If you don't use sulphur soap when you shower give it a try. I've used it for years and shower twice a day. The little buggers don't bother me much since.:smile:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hector
Posted
Posted

thanks guys for the suggestions, is there some type of ban on aerosol cans, I used to use PAM for my cooking and I can't seem to locate it as well as spray OFF......oh well 

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Be sure you have done a thorough job of eliminating stagnant water where young mosquitoes develop. The concrete lids on my septic tank and roof gutter cisterns do not fit perfectly. Mosquitoes were seen emerging from the septic tank. I sealed the gaps with silicone caulk and my mosquito problem has abated somewhat. I'm hoping it won't be too much work to remove the lids when that becomes necessary.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Hector
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Be sure you have done a thorough job of eliminating stagnant water where young mosquitoes develop. The concrete lids on my septic tank and roof gutter cisterns do not fit perfectly. Mosquitoes were seen emerging from the septic tank. I sealed the gaps with silicone caulk and my mosquito problem has abated somewhat. I'm hoping it won't be too much work to remove the lids when that becomes necessary.

I think most of the time I'm bit / stung is outside. The other day while waiting for a taxi, I looked down at where I had previously scratched and the skin as raw with blood and this particular bug was right on where it was bleeding, I moved my leg to make it go away which he did but a second later landed on the exact spot...I decided to just move my legs like a fool  just to avoid that from happening again...weird feeling as you see something happening to you but can not feel a thing....SMH

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hector said:

I decided to just move my legs like a fool  just to avoid that from happening again

You ever got bit in the butt?  I was gyrating like a spastic fool trying to relieve that itch.  And no way in hell that I would scratch down there.....he, he.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I think I will just leave this here:whistling:

confucius-mosquito.jpg :console:

• Haha 5