Bug repelent

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Efficiscent oil is very good but it has that eucalyptus smell which some people don`t like. Be careful how much you put on as it can get hot.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just a thought for those with a Garden or room for Pot Plants;

Bugs and plants.jpg :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2019 at 4:09 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Bugs and plants.jpg :thumbsup:

I thought that was illegal in the Philippines????:whistling:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

I thought that was illegal in the Philippines????:whistling:

:whatever:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 4/17/2019 at 8:39 PM, Hector said:

So it's my second week here and I noticed that I'm a "bug" Buffett. The first few days nothing and now I get bites on my legs and arms mostly just above my ankles, now my calves and arms.

Hector, your observation that bugs weren't biting the first few days is very interesting.  Years ago, I had dinner with foreign correspondents and photographers.  The subject of tropical insects came up.  One theory discussed was the change from a whole grain bread diet to white rice makes you a lovely buffet for insects.  The locals are not bitten because their diet is high in boiled dark green vegetables whereas foreign visitors ate mostly chicken, pork and beef with rice.  It results in vitamin deficiency.  Their solution was high dosages of multivitamins with emphasis on the B group.  The excess vitamin is expelled through your skin pores rather than through urine.  The insects for some reason don't like the smell.  It's the reason why some get bitten and others don't.

I check online and found the following information about wheat bread:  "Minerals contained in wheat include calcium, phosphorous, potassium, iron, magnesium and sodium. Vitamins such as thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), pantothenic acid, inosotol, P-aminobenzoic acid, folic acid and vitamin B6 are also distributed throughout the wheat grain."

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2019 at 1:09 AM, Jack Peterson said:

There is also a plant that reported keeps mosquitos away.  I believe it's called "citronelle."  

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The locals do get bitten just as often as vistors it's just that after a long enough exposure you stop reacting to the bite. So they no longer show the big red welts when bitten.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

The locals do get bitten just as often as vistors it's just that after a long enough exposure you stop reacting to the bite. So they no longer show the big red welts when bitten.

I rarely get bitten. Maybe it's because I almost constantly have an electric fan blowing on me!!:smile:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I find that I never get bitten when I'm on the 3rd floor, seldom get bitten on the 2nd floor, sometimes get bitten inside on the 1st floor (the door is only open when people go in and out and the windows have insect screens) and often get bitten when I'm outside sitting down enjoying a quiet ale.  

Maybe mosquitoes don't look for meals above them?  Or don't fly very high?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I find that I never get bitten when I'm on the 3rd floor, seldom get bitten on the 2nd floor, sometimes get bitten inside on the 1st floor (the door is only open when people go in and out and the windows have insect screens) and often get bitten when I'm outside sitting down enjoying a quiet ale.  

Maybe mosquitoes don't look for meals above them?  Or don't fly very high?

I reckon it's for the same reason as the Mcdonalds  that have several floors - the higher you go the less people there are!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2