Anybody had hip replacement surgery?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I went to a doc at Medical City Clark today because my hip has been hurting for quite a while.  After an X-ray, his opinion is that I will be needing a hip replacement in the future.

I have 3 friends who have had it in the last 2-3 year, all very successful.  Two were in California and one here in Baguio.  I researched the doc I saw today and he has a good rep.  His main hospital is Medical City in Pasig an he comes to Clark two days a week.  I definitely will get other opinions before going for it.

A family friend in Baguio, a Swiss guy in his late 70's, had both hips done in Baguio a few year ago, and is happy with it.  The same doc subsequently operated on my BIL when broke his leg badly and needed a lot of pins.  Both recommend him.  He is based at Notre Dame there.

Any experiences to share?  How about Thailand?  I French guy I know who lives here was saying he would go to Thailand for anything big.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Anybody had hip replacement surgery?

Yep I did

Once I found out the true cost of her that was it. Amazing  how much a Filipina could spend.  :rolleyes: 

• Haha 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I would make absolutely sure the surgery is required. Perhaps there are other things you can try first.

Several years ago i had a growing problem with hip pain, then it extended to the front of my lower leg sometimes. It turned out that the bottom most disk of my spine next to the tailbone had been crushed at some point. (Rest of my spine looks perfect) This affects the nerve bundles exiting the spine to my legs. Bottom line the pain was caused by nerves. 3 months of physical therapy helped to adjust something to the point where i rarely have any pain. This avoided more intrusive therapy like spinal injections or eventually, surgery.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, earthdome said:

Perhaps there are other things you can try first.

Yes, I meant to mention about alternatives.  I'm thinking about seeing an American choirpractor who practices in Angeles.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I meant to mention about alternatives.  I'm thinking about seeing an American choirpractor who practices in Angeles.

Maybe a tenor or gospel singer.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I get hip pain on my right side occasionally, comes and goes, mostly goes but when I have it I can barely walk. Then it just goes away as fast as it came. 3 days of pain at the most. My brother had a hip replacement in Phoenix after a car accident years ago and at about 10 years he had to get a tune up. The ball at the joint wears out apparently. But he said it was great.:smile:  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My friend suggested to take the x-ray to the chiro, so I think I will do that.  Can't hurt.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I get hip pain on my right side occasionally, comes and goes, mostly goes but when I have it I can barely walk. Then it just goes away as fast as it came. 3 days of pain at the most. My brother had a hip replacement in Phoenix after a car accident years ago and at about 10 years he had to get a tune up. The ball at the joint wears out apparently. But he said it was great.:smile:  

Has anybody tried "glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate" supplements?  Years ago I tried them for knee pain but not very religiously and I didn't notice a difference.  Ended up getting arthroscopic surgery for torn meniscus back then, around '95.  I think I will make a small investment in them and see if I feel any difference.  Worth a shot.

"Perhaps the most important aspect of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements is that they are thought to help slow or prevent the degeneration of joint cartilage, the underlying cause of osteoarthritis pain. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate dietary supplements may also help alleviate existing joint pain."

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Has anybody tried "glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate" supplements? 

I use them, they help me a little (I've got arthritis).  I take them daily except when I run out, I notice if I stop taking them for a few weeks my symptoms slowly get a bit worse.  Then I go and buy some more and they slowly get a bit better.  I dunno... maybe I'm fooling myself but it feels like they help a bit (maybe 1 or 2 points on a 10 scale?).  

I find that Voltaren (diclofenic sodium gel) is more effective but only works for a short period of time and needs to be reapplied.  

That's more something I use on my fingers so I can write and type with less pain (or ride the motorbike safely).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, earthdome said:

I would make absolutely sure the surgery is required. Perhaps there are other things you can try first.

My wife was asking about this and got me wondering too.  Before hip replacement was available, what happened to everyone?  It just deteriorates until walking becomes too much and a wheelchair is needed?