At the dentist.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Like I said I have not come across root canals before.

Root canal is basically drill a hole and screw in a false tooth.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You mean a dental implant?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

A root canal is required when there is an infection in the pulp of the tooth and the tooth cannot be saved.  An opening in the surface is drilled, the pulp is removed and replaced with filler, then the hole is filled or a crown cemented to the surface of the tooth.   For baby teeth a root canal, to maintain space, is done if the tooth is not scheduled to fall out on its own in the near future.  If simply removed the teeth around the space will begin to shift, the bite changes, and a whole slew of future problems can result.  In the case being described it seems odd that they would "create a mold for when the baby tooth goes."  Makes more sense if the mold was to be used for a crown on the baby tooth.  Could it be the dentist meant to say "create a mold for WHERE the baby tooth goes" instead of WHEN? :89:  

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

A root canal is required when there is an infection in the pulp of the tooth and the tooth cannot be saved.  An opening in the surface is drilled, the pulp is removed and replaced with filler, then the hole is filled or a crown cemented to the surface of the tooth.   For baby teeth a root canal, to maintain space, is done if the tooth is not scheduled to fall out on its own in the near future.  If simply removed the teeth around the space will begin to shift, the bite changes, and a whole slew of future problems can result.  In the case being described it seems odd that they would "create a mold for when the baby tooth goes."  Makes more sense if the mold was to be used for a crown on the baby tooth.  Could it be the dentist meant to say "create a mold for WHERE the baby tooth goes" instead of WHEN? :89:  

Maybe she said that but she was messing around in my mouth at the time, No I was not looking at her b

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Having had way more root canals than I would have liked, I can tell you this is way off the mark.  A root canal is one of a number of "tunnels" through the tooth to the nerve in the jaw.  When one or more of these canals get infected, the dentist has to remove all the material from every canal in that tooth, all the way to the nerve in the jaw, and fill it with inert material.  NOT fun and incredibly stupid on a "baby tooth"

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Having had way more root canals than I would have liked, I can tell you this is way off the mark.  A root canal is one of a number of "tunnels" through the tooth to the nerve in the jaw.  When one or more of these canals get infected, the dentist has to remove all the material from every canal in that tooth, all the way to the nerve in the jaw, and fill it with inert material.  NOT fun and incredibly stupid on a "baby tooth"

Hmm so what was it I had done? 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

If you had a threaded socket(s) put into your jaw and a tooth or plate screwed to that then it was a dental implant(s).

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

If you had a threaded socket(s) put into your jaw and a tooth or plate screwed to that then it was a dental implant(s).

I knew that :whistling:

• Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think I would have immediatly been looking for another dentist.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think I would have immediatly been looking for another dentist.

Which comment are you answering?