Car ports

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thought I would start another thread rather then adding to the chimney one.

The house in the Philippines was planned to be a lot bigger then it is, in fact 3.5 meters wider by 10 meters long , this was going to have a extra room at the back then some sort of open carport then another 3 bedrooms on top, but I put a stop to all of those extra rooms for family members.

Anyway with all this extra space at the side of the house I am thinking of putting up a carport come drying area come dirty kitchen and somewhere to sit outside out of the rain, the cheaper the better so I am thinking could it be a metal frame with corrugated roofing sheets, this will also help with covering the windows and doors on that side of the house so the rain does not run down, if possible I would like to have some sheets that are clear to bring light into that space .

Is it possible to make something like that or would breeze block columns be better then either a wooden frame, open to lots of advice from fellow members.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Thought I would start another thread rather then adding to the chimney one.

The house in the Philippines was planned to be a lot bigger then it is, in fact 3.5 meters wider by 10 meters long , this was going to have a extra room at the back then some sort of open carport then another 3 bedrooms on top, but I put a stop to all of those extra rooms for family members.

Anyway with all this extra space at the side of the house I am thinking of putting up a carport come drying area come dirty kitchen and somewhere to sit outside out of the rain, the cheaper the better so I am thinking could it be a metal frame with corrugated roofing sheets, this will also help with covering the windows and doors on that side of the house so the rain does not run down, if possible I would like to have some sheets that are clear to bring light into that space .

Is it possible to make something like that or would breeze block columns be better then either a wooden frame, open to lots of advice from fellow members.

Steel frame with a tin roof, food and drink to them, every basket ball court is built like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Instead of a tin roof consider using nipa.  It would be much cooler and also quieter during rain storms.   A nipa roof will last from 3 to 10 years depending on the quality of the leaves, density, and skill of install.  Also a nipa roof looks so much nicer than a tin roof, that is my opinion of course.

• Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Steve, they do twinwall polycarbonate sheeting here I deal for a carport. And it is light so you can get metal brackets made for it. 

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Steve, they do twinwall polycarbonate sheeting here I deal for a carport. And it is light so you can get metal brackets made for it. 

I have 2 of those - they are light and therefore the support frame can be lighter steel which is a positive.  Negative is they need to be very well secured and the raw edges need to be sealed otherwise rain will get in and rot the polycarbon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I have 2 of those - they are light and therefore the support frame can be lighter steel which is a positive.  Negative is they need to be very well secured and the raw edges need to be sealed otherwise rain will get in and rot the polycarbon.

You can seal the open end very easily with clear silicon 70 pesos at most hardware stores.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

You can seal the open end very easily with clear silicon 70 pesos at most hardware stores.

Yes you can but unfortunately it reacts on the Poly carbon a goes rotten, I will show you on Thursday :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I discovered the problem only after the first downpour - too late and almost impossible to remove the water.  I did then seal the ends with the sealant as you suggest but it was tricky as the upstairs roof was hard to access - definitely a job best done before installation!  There is also a matching strip that can be bought with the polycarbon sheets but it's expensive (800php for 3m I think) and darn hard to fit in situ as I discovered.  I'll know better next time but I doubt there will be a next time!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes you can but unfortunately it reacts on the Poly carbon a goes rotten, I will show you on Thursday :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Yep - this I have noticed.  The sealing strip sold with the sheets is the best solution albeit expensive and tricky to fit

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

When I did double glazing here in England ,we fitted many conservatory’s with polycarbonate roofing sheets, we use to use a silver foil tape on the ends plus also a plastic end cap, maybe it’s something to look into before we do anything .