Boracay

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We went to Boracay over 10 years ago and are thinking is it worth going back again when we are over in the Philippines this time.

So is it worth going back to after all that has happened over the last few years.

On our last visit it was a amazing place to visit, our stay was at Fairways at blue water and we could stay there again, we did the usual tourist things while we was there but has it increased in prices since all the changers , has it got more over crowded now .

Are there other places that you feel are as good but cheaper and less crowded, I have been to Bohol / Panglao which I do like and Elnido is on the must visit list one day but again can anyone say when is the best time to visit here .

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, stevewool said:

has it got more over crowded now

Shouldn't be as they only allow a certain number of tourist there at a time.

• Thanks 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, stevewool said:

We went to Boracay over 10 years ago and are thinking is it worth going back again when we are over in the Philippines this time.

So is it worth going back to after all that has happened over the last few years.

On our last visit it was a amazing place to visit, our stay was at Fairways at blue water and we could stay there again, we did the usual tourist things while we was there but has it increased in prices since all the changers , has it got more over crowded now .

Are there other places that you feel are as good but cheaper and less crowded, I have been to Bohol / Panglao which I do like and Elnido is on the must visit list one day but again can anyone say when is the best time to visit here .

Hasn't all prices gone up in the last 10 years?

Tourism visits to Boracay have increased from 779,000 in 2009 to over 2 million in 2018 per their stats.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I have been looking forward to an update from our member who owns a rental property there, he was a good source of info during the rehabilitation. Anyone heard from him?

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Can't stand it there personally, went before the drama and it was alright, nice having a drink by the beach and watching the dancers & fireworks etc.
Went for New Year and was boring with all their new rules, only plus point was there weren't so many vendors trying to sell me their shit. Ended up going again in March and it was boring again, this time with all the vendors back lol.

Only good part is seeing the foreign women on the beach, I love Filipinas but they're generally lacking in the boobs department so it makes a nice change:biggrin:.

Jimbouk
Posted
Posted

I visited 3 years ago and tbh I thought it was a bit of a dump. It may have been nice 10+ years ago but it is terribly over-developed now. I was there during holy week so it was extra packed plus there had been recent algae blooms in the sea which washed up on the beach coating it in green slimy stuff. Apparently this happens every year, if they have sorted out the raw sewage problem it may prevent this in the future.

I wouldn't go back - I suspect Palawan would be a better bet.

Jimbo UK

• Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

Hasn't all prices gone up in the last 10 years?

Tourism visits to Boracay have increased from 779,000 in 2009 to over 2 million in 2018 per their stats.

Yes a silly comment about the prices 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was just there last month, and my wife & I are going back next month. It is our favorite beach here (and not too far from Iloilo).  For me it has the perfect setup - beautiful beach, good shops, great restaurants.  I get bored on the secluded beaches... I swim for an hour so... then what?  But when I lived in Hawaii, Waikiki was our beach of choice.

As for the crowds, it depends on when you go.  They say they limit the number of visitors, but they lie (big surprise, huh).  If you are there on cruise ship day, you are out of luck! So far I have seen horrid pics of cruise ship days, but never had the bad luck of being there for it.  

Most of the new changes are not a big deal. I thought the 'no tables on the beach' would be bad, because we enjoyed dinner on the beach. Turns out with no tables or fire dancing on the beach, people actually play and swim well into the night. The beach actually gets used more. 

But I do miss the beach chairs and umbrellas.  Best part of getting a beachfront hotel was the beach chairs. 

Here is a vid I did last month (kind of long, as I only made one vid for a 3 day visit)

https://youtu.be/v8ldW2Ofbrw

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I enjoyed Bantayan Island just north of Cebu. Beach is nice but not perfect. Very quiet and rural area. Plan to visit again soon.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I thought the 'no tables on the beach' would be bad,

IMHO for us this was one of the big draws, it was just so unique to be able to sit on those low chairs with the low table on the beach near the water. We are thinking of giving it a visit probably next year after all the kinks are worked out :571c66d400c8c_1(103):. Hell, why not? we are retired and got little else better to do :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1