Some Foreigners are treated well in the Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Unless I am misunderstanding this seems to go against what I thought was that a non resident could not fully own a business

Seems to say he was granted citizenship so yes he could do anything that a Filipino can.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Seems to say he was granted citizenship so yes he could do anything that a Filipino can.

Run for government office?  

According to the 1987 Constitution, all candidates for President, Vice President, Senator, and members of the House of Representatives must be:

a natural-born citizen of the Philippines

I use this as an example.  I strongly suspect there are other things a naturalized citizen cannot do but I don't really feel like researching it.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Run for government office?  

I use this as an example.  I strongly suspect there are other things a naturalized citizen cannot do but I don't really feel like researching it.

Well the reply was about running a business so thats what I was referring too 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:
11 hours ago, intrepid said:

Unless I am misunderstanding this seems to go against what I thought was that a non resident could not fully own a business

One possible reason was his status as a refugee.  While the United Nations provides some financial support in the form of food and shelter, there is a time limitation.  Perhaps long stay refugees, as oppose to temporary one like the Vietnamese boat people, are permitted to find employment or open a small business.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I might start listening to the xxxxx religious and ethnic group xxxxx that you are spewing, if I cared. But I don't. It's all xxxxx.:bomb_80_anim_gif:

Arizona please play nice?

If you read something you don’t agree with reply respectfully or ignore it. Thanks for understanding.

• Thanks 3
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I recently came to the realization that one of my Spanish ancestors was actually a refugee in the Philippines.  She arrived as the wife of a Spanish army officer of sufficient rank that he was permitted to bring his family.  Shortly thereafter, the officer was shot and killed by Philippine revolutionaries.  Then the Americans came during the Spanish-American War and overthrew the Spanish government.  Stuck in the Philippines with no financial support, the widow married a Filipino.

In 2017, my sister asked if I wanted to visit the ancestral home in Cordoba.  I said, "No."  My wife and I just purchased tickets for a two and half months trip to Spain and Portugal.  Perhaps we will do it this time.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Another refugee group who came to the Philippines were soldiers from the Spanish Republican Army fleeing General Francisco Franco's Nationalists.  The Spanish Civil War was very brutal.  The estimate Is 100,000 Republicans were executed by Franco and another 35,000 died in concentration camps.  The Philippine group was small.  Most of the Republicans fled to the Spanish speaking countries who would take them.  Those in the Philippines were dispersed and told to keep quiet.  There was fear Franco was sending assassins overseas to kill his enemies.

• Like 3