Who wants to have a simple D-I-Y estimating guide on your new home and renovations?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, graham59 said:

Should take maybe 7 days to complete a 12m x 1.8m wall.... properly built and finished.  2 guys working.

Buy the materials yourself... as and when needed (the workers will tell you) . Labour costs approx p1000 per day, all in.

Materials (off top of my head)  p20,000 ?  Cement, hollow blocks, rebar, wire,  ply. coco lumber and nails for shuttering on the concrete posts. (probably 5 of those on that length) Sand and gravel.

Might need to buy them a shovel and a spade . Another p1000.  Hopefully they'll have their own hacksaw. 

Don't throw money away on people pricing the whole job for you.  

Well the original topic of this wall mentioned, tiles, lights and gates, maybe just columns for gates and also plans and permits but there is more to this wall than just a slap bang thank you man job so cost might be higher. Also who knows if its built on a slope or solid rock to make things more difficult. 

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 5/24/2019 at 9:47 PM, JaimeB said:

As I have promised, here's your D-I-Y guide. Hope it will help you a lot!DIY.JPG

Interesting that it costs 2.5 Million to build 100sq meter medium end and 3 Million to renovate 100sq meter medium end.

• Love it 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

Interesting that it costs 2.5 Million to build 100sq meter medium end and 3 Million to renovate 100sq meter medium end.

Not surprised, it is often cheaper to start with a blank sheet than renovate.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JaimeB said:

Use:

*13pcs of hollow blocks per square meter.

*1 column per every 3meters span of wall.

*10mm diameter rebars @ 0.60 meter or 600mm bothways(horizontal&vertical).

For wall footing, say 5lengths of 12mm diameter rebars.

For column footing, say 4lengths of 12mm diameter rebars

For column main bars, say 7lengths of rebars.

For column ties, say 23 lengths 10mm diameter rebars at 0.20mm distance each space.

For labor, say 400php per person per day.

Note: This is just my assumption and may vary depending on how you or the workers implement on the site.

Thanks,

Hope it help you a little.

Also sand, cement, and buckets to move the mix and pour the columns.  Make sure they put a finish coat on the wall (both sides) or it may not last long.  

• Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well the original topic of this wall mentioned, tiles, lights and gates, maybe just columns for gates and also plans and permits but there is more to this wall than just a slap bang thank you man job so cost might be higher. Also who knows if its built on a slope or solid rock to make things more difficult. 

Yes, I agree, but as my post did not mention gates, tiles and other extra items, I assumed that people would realise these are just basic costs.  As far as ground conditions go, on such a small project, and cheap labour rates.... minimal difference to cost. 

graham59
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JaimeB said:

Hi graham59,

Can you expound more on labour cost 1000k per day all in?

Assuming one skilled worker @ p500 a day, and one semi-skilled @ p400 a day..... plus p50 each per day 'merienda money'. = p1000. 

That is what I'm paying at present to the guys building the 2 storey extension to my house, here in Pangasinan,

I agree with your basic materials requirements. 

• Thanks 1

JaimeB
Posted
Posted

Got it, this is pretty usual here when we want to build our new home or having an extension that we do free lunch and snack but if you take it to full construction having a contractor I know it costs more but you can avoid the headache once you have it passed the responsibility to them. And, you only supervise it as per your contract agreement.

JaimeB
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

Yes, it gives you more if you just renovate it in full but if you do minimal changes with proper strategies you can always avoid costly works.

JaimeB
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Thank you Jaime, accurate detailed report. :tiphat:

You're welcome, Old55.

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

Not surprised, it is often cheaper to start with a blank sheet than renovate.

Sounds like the smart move would be to sell what you have and build somewhere else then.