Who wants to have a simple D-I-Y estimating guide on your new home and renovations?

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/25/2019 at 10:47 AM, JaimeB said:

As I have promised, here's your D-I-Y guide. Hope it will help you a lot!DIY.JPG

Appears pretty much on par with what we paying. Two units of 41 square meters P15k per square. This is contract price all inclusive, we are hands off.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, robert k said:

Sounds like the smart move would be to sell what you have and build somewhere else then.

Location, location, location.

Large investors do it all the time.  They buy a house for the location, tear it down and build from scratch.  Individuals who like their location and are in a dilapidated house are often wise to do the same.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, robert k said:

Interesting that it costs 2.5 Million to build 100sq meter medium end and 3 Million to renovate 100sq meter medium end.

You do not have to find a way to work around and/or correct the existing mistakes.  Walls not plumb, floors not level, corners not square,  undersized beams,  termite damage, substandard wiring and plumbing to be replaced.  When you go to remodel the stuff you run into is just amazing and you find yourself saying WTH! :89:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, robert k said:

Sounds like the smart move would be to sell what you have and build somewhere else then.

Could be, but that doesn't take account of the location which may mean someone is willing to spend more on renovation just to stay in the same spot 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Although this chart is very useful it does not take into account of which area the property is being built. I had my house built for 15k per meter but it is not low end. 2 brits an Aussie and a German have looked and said how good the workmanship is.

JaimeB
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Although this chart is very useful it does not take into account of which area the property is being built. I had my house built for 15k per meter but it is not low end. 2 brits an Aussie and a German have looked and said how good the workmanship is.

yes, that is true. This guide will just give you a variety of range whether you want your cost higher or lower depending on the location and the ability of the contractor.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

You do not have to find a way to work around and/or correct the existing mistakes.  Walls not plumb, floors not level, corners not square,  undersized beams,  termite damage, substandard wiring and plumbing to be replaced.  When you go to remodel the stuff you run into is just amazing and you find yourself saying WTH! :89:

I wouldn't think about things like that because I wouldn't buy a place like that. I used to be in the building trades. I walk in to a place like that and it's almost palpable, the way it hits you.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, robert k said:

I wouldn't think about things like that because I wouldn't buy a place like that. I used to be in the building trades. I walk in to a place like that and it's almost palpable, the way it hits you.

I think this way also but some things are buried and we cannot tell until we start if anything is wrong. Having said that I would adjust the price I was willing to pay to compensate for anything I suspected might be substandard, you can usually get a hint from how the other finishing is done. 

• 2 weeks later...
JaimeB
Posted
Posted
On 6/18/2019 at 4:28 AM, bamfurlong said:

Hello Jamie

Did you post the  for construction projects somewhere on here.

I have been quoted a price for building the wall around our lot, it seems a bit expensive to me , but i dont have any prices to compare too

Regards 

John

This is not applicable to fencing construction. What you can do is to ask your local material supplier about price quotation, once you have the quotation on the material you’ll just add 35-45% labor cost to know your overall estimates. Thanks

• 3 months later...
Shaz
Posted
Posted
On 5/25/2019 at 8:47 AM, JaimeB said:

As I have promised, here's your D-I-Y guide. Hope it will help you a lot!DIY.JPG

I have found this report important to compare the cost between building a new home and renovating a home costing. Thanks for the detail estimate.