"How You Gonna Keep 'Em Down On The Farm"

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

the Filipinas I have met who have gone to the US with some guy and moved back to the Philippines because its more fun here. 

Of course, how could we ever forget?

fun.JPG

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Those might be the Filipinas that my wife speaks to, who are married to very old guys (in their late 70's and 80's), who expect their Filipina wives to work 12 hours a day, then come home and cook and clean.  

I guess that the experience of Pinays and Pinoys in the West will vary, depending on who you ask (as you've said).

Mark, If you're limiting your analysis to your wife's Fil-Am friends they are still presumably in the US so hardly a fair analysis.  If we were to ask all of those who returned home we'd get the opposite answer, would we not?

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Mark, If you're limiting your analysis to your wife's Fil-Am friends they are still presumably in the US so hardly a fair analysis.  If we were to ask all of those who returned home we'd get the opposite answer, would we not?

Sorry, but why would everyone asked (if we asked everyone) give an opposite answer?  Wouldn't there be a possibility that there would be a mixture of answers?... rather than all saying the opposite of what I've said?

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

- moved to next post-

Edited by Mark Berkowitz

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
On 6/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

I can’t speak for all Pinoys (and Pinays), but I get the feeling that most of them will prefer to stay in a Western country (and not return to live in the Philippines).

I'm not just talling about the USA, since I used to take the family to eat at a German-owned restaurant in Batangas, where I would speak to the owner in German (since I studied Deutsch for a few years).

During one of our conversations, he told us that he brought his Pinay wife (years ago) back to Munich, where he worked as an engineer for BMW, and his family grew by having children with his wife.

The funny thing is that he gave up his work at BMW and moved back to the Phils to open a restaurant, but his Pinay wife and their Filipino-German children chose to remain in Germany.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I'm not just talling about the USA, since I used to take the family to eat at a German-owned restaurant in Batangas, where I would speak to the owner in German (since I studied Deutsch for a few years).

During one of our conversations, he told us that he brought his Pinay wife (years ago) back to Munich, where he worked as an engineer for BMW, and his family grew by having children with his wife.

The funny thing is that he gave up his work at BMW and moved back to the Phils to open a restaurant, but his Pinay wife and their Filipino-German children chose to remain in Germany.

That may make an interesting topic Mark. Pros and cons of raising children in the West or Philippines. 

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

That may make an interesting topic Mark. Pros and cons of raising children in the West or Philippines. 

Thanks Dan, but I think that we've already covered those issues before (in other topics), but I'm open to the idea of starting a new topic (if you recommend it).

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/27258-raising-a-half-american-child-in-the-philippines/

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/29887-repatriation -yes-you-can-go-home-again/

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
formatting
  • Like 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Know of a similar situation.  Wife in Germany has first crack at his pension and sends him an allowance. :hystery:

The kids I can understand, taking them away from their friends is very hard to do and same if mama has already decided to stay.  Plus the benefits of a German education and connections made compared to one in the Philippines is hard to beat.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hobbit112 said:

Plus the benefits of a German education and connections made compared to one in the Philippines is hard to beat.:thumbsup:

Is this not we can all say about Education abroad, wherever it may be in the West, Not Brain surgery to understand that methinks

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Sorry, but why would everyone asked (if we asked everyone) give an opposite answer?  Wouldn't there be a possibility that there would be a mixture of answers?... rather than all saying the opposite of what I've said?

If I asked ex-pats here in the Philippines if they preferred to live here or return home, I'd imagine MOST would say stay here - the simple fact they are here is evidence of the fact they prefer here. Alternatively, if I asked those who have returned home they would say they prefer home - that is why they returned.  I guess it's kinda like preaching to the converted.  So, unless you asked a cross-section of both types I'd say it was a skewed poll. 

• Thanks 1