6.4-magnitude earthquake in Southern California felt in Las Vegas

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Updated July 4, 2019 - 11:08 am

SAN FRANCISCO — A large earthquake has rattled a large swath of Southern California. There are no immediate reports of damage.

The quake measured with a preliminary magnitude of 6.4 struck Wednesday morning near the town of Ridgecrest, California, about 150 miles (240 kilometers) northeast of Los Angeles. Ridgecrest is about 270 miles west of Las Vegas, between Las Vegas and Bakersfield.

A tweet from the U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was recorded at 10:33 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time.

People from the desert to the Pacific coast in Southern California reported feeling it as well as residents in Las Vegas.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/6-4-magnitude-earthquake-in-southern-california-felt-in-las-vegas-1701487/

How a Southern California earthquake would possibly be felt in Las Vegas was actully discussed in a Youtube from 2016.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I remember living in Trona when Ridgecrest was the closest hospital worthy of the name.

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

This always makes me wonder about the BIG ONE, if and when it ever happens.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

This always makes me wonder about the BIG ONE, if and when it ever happens.

I'm more worried about the big Pacific NW quake that is due.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm more worried about the big Pacific NW quake that is due.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

I can see why... I hope it never happens.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

There was a 6.8 earthquake near Olympia, Wa in 2001.  Even in Yakima, WA ,about 100 miles away, we got a fairly good shake from it.  People left their desks to run outside because the two story office building was shaking so badly.  I remember sitting at my desk and trying to focus on my computer monitor.  Between my chair swaying side to side and trying to look at the shaking monitor I began to suffer vertigo.  Thought I was having a stroke for a minute.  Was actually relieved to find out it was an earthquake.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Was actually relieved to find out it was an earthquake.

I know that feeling, since I had a similar experience with a 6 plus earthquake on the east coast.  I was also relieved to know that it was an earthquake, and not an airplane or train crashing into my home.

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
grammar
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

They just had another, apparently in the same Ridgecrest area.  My nephew in Vegas says it was 7.1!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I've only ever experienced one small earthquake, it was more like a rumble from a truck going past the house , we just dont get big ones in the UK .

I read that report on the NW Pacific,  I found it both interesting and scary , there are pending natural disasters on all of the continents, there is geological evidence of a tsunami that hit my native Scotland , you just dont associate Scotland and tsunami in the same sentence , there is also geological evidence of an asteroid strike in the Highlands. 

At some point in the past an asteroid struck this planet and wiped out 75% of life , there is evidence that Kracatoa blew its lid about 1500 years ago and caused a nuclear winter , as sciences that look at the rings of ancient trees and drill down into the ice cap reveal more information about or planets geological past ,the evidence is such that sooner or later some sort of natural disaster will hit on a scale that is unknown to recent history 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They just had another, apparently in the same Ridgecrest area.  My nephew in Vegas says it was 7.1!

I just watched that on the news