Purchasing a Condo ... Pros and Cons

jimeve
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yep... all of the above - all but the goats, cows and caribaw (or whatever) right next door. They had a turkey too, but haven't heard that one recently. The others are two blocks away - the goats graze on the rubbish on the side of the road, the cattle on the long grass growing in the shade of three high-rise condo buldings. No fighting cocks though. The cocks here seem to be content?:hystery:

And, of course, there are the people - they live sortof in between the livestock.

Not in the City centre surly not, I live in the boonies away from the City. I have over 30 turkeys and 3 dogs, next door has goats and on the other side they have roosters about 40 of then. Got use the ambient farmyard noise but the disco noise is driving me nuts.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Another option is to buy a condo inside a resort.  You get the best of both worlds then. Peace and quiet.  Well managed grounds, fast wifi, back up generators plus water, swimming pools and if lucky free transport all for less than 3k per month management fees which includes insurance. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Not in the City centre surly not, I live in the boonies away from the City

I see what you were asking.... You are right, not in the city center but in Ecoland - maybe 1-1.5 km from the city center, well inside the built-up area... And yeah... farm noise is a lot easier to take than disco or karaoke...

54 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Another option is to buy a condo inside a resort. 

I like your idea, Snowy, but then think about the noise inside a resort? People here party in the resorts and make lots of noise. I was at a resort on Samal Island - yeah, it was one of the cheaper ones, but not the cheapest - and people would start karaoke at 5 am some days during Easter week. Next door to our room the staff had brought in two or three extra beds to add to the two already there and they watched movies until well after 1 am and would be running around talking loudly and laughing as they guzzled their beers. Not a place to relax. And would you really like to swim in a pool filled mostly with urine and chlorine from the dozens of kids - who also tend to be a bit raucous themselves making a tranquil time in the pool not always available. But all that is not necessarily all the time.

But it does get back to management. Maybe an adults only resort that caters to quiet, older folks? So you might be onto something after all... I did rent a small condo in a resort nearby and they had strict rules about noise and pool and common area use. But the inside open area of the building itself smelled often of food that was not so appetizing to me. As JollyGood mentioned, you need to be ready to accommodate this life style and, if it works for you, then it could be wonderful! 

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I like your idea, Snowy, but then think about the noise inside a resort? People here party in the resorts and make lots of noise. I was at a resort on Samal Island - yeah, it was one of the cheaper ones, but not the cheapest - and people would start karaoke at 5 am some days during Easter week. Next door to our room the staff had brought in two or three extra beds to add to the two already there and they watched movies until well after 1 am and would be running around talking loudly and laughing as they guzzled their beers. Not a place to relax. And would you really like to swim in a pool filled mostly with urine and chlorine from the dozens of kids - who also tend to be a bit raucous themselves making a tranquil time in the pool not always available. But all that is not necessarily all the time.

Speaking from experience my condo is perfect.  No BBQs, videoke or pets. There's two pools plus a jacuzzi and the resort tends to cater for Koreans.  The cost per night also keeps the riff raff away.  

I only live there part time and love sitting on the balcony at night watching the fruit bats flying out towards the distant islands and the only sound I hear is the lizards.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Speaking from experience my condo is perfect.  No BBQs, videoke or pets. There's two pools plus a jacuzzi and the resort tends to cater for Koreans.  The cost per night also keeps the riff raff away.  

I only live there part time and love sitting on the balcony at night watching the fruit bats flying out towards the distant islands and the only sound I hear is the lizards.

Ahhh... That's good! You obviously did your research and found the right place. This is a great example for what's out there if you look around and are careful.

Fruit bats are cool to watch. Just keep your mouth closed if you look up!

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 7/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, Tommy T. said:

An addendum... I already said we will be building our own home soon. One of the important things for me (my partner understands my sensitivity to noise) that we will incorporate is a tall fence between us and neighbours, thick walls and heavy curtains for at least the master bedroom and lots of vegetation around the property - all to absorb or minimize sound pollution. There aren't many neighbours - yet - so few barking dogs and karaoke is quite distant. But we are planning for the future as best we can.

I would just like to chime in here. When we first built our subdivision was less than 1/8 occupied by houses. I viewed this as a positive, boy big mistake.

We suffered more than 2 years by people nearby construction houses. Once they start grinding it never stops, almost drove me crazy. We were lucky that the development did not hi der our views how ever one neighbour does breed puppies.....enough said

If I had to relive it would only build in a developed area or buy anew existing dwelling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

If I had to relive it would only build in a developed area or buy anew existing dwelling.

That's an excellent point RBM! It's not always the best thing to be the first - or one of the first - homes to be built in a developed area... that's for sure!

The so-called subdivision where we will build our home is a bit remote so we "hope" that it will take a while. I guess the only good thing is that, if there is construction going on they. at least, sleep at night and it is quiet? Or is there karaoke too already?

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That's an excellent point RBM! It's not always the best thing to be the first - or one of the first - homes to be built in a developed area... that's for sure!

The so-called subdivision where we will build our home is a bit remote so we "hope" that it will take a while. I guess the only good thing is that, if there is construction going on they. at least, sleep at night and it is quiet? Or is there karaoke too already?

No kareoke never had that problem how ever many of the construction gang live on site. In my area apart from endless grinding is once one of them starts to laugh they all join and my my my is it loud and long...Most irritating.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RBM said:

No kareoke never had that problem how ever many of the construction gang live on site. In my area apart from endless grinding is once one of them starts to laugh they all join and my my my is it loud and long...Most irritating.

Good that there is no karaoke... Maybe you have air/con or fans or stereo you can try? Or you could always go out and buy a few bottles of Tanduay and they will drink that until they are stupid drunk and will pass out?

Apparently, like you, I am very sensitive to sound and noise... I always liked fireworks and I had an extremely loud motorcycle for several years. But I just don't like sudden, loud noises that I don't expect - they actually shock me... Hopefully that construction will either be done soon or settle down as the new homes are finished... My sympathies to you, mate!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

I would just like to chime in here. When we first built our subdivision was less than 1/8 occupied by houses. I viewed this as a positive, boy big mistake.

We suffered more than 2 years by people nearby construction houses. Once they start grinding it never stops, almost drove me crazy. We were lucky that the development did not hi der our views how ever one neighbour does breed puppies.....enough said

The sub-division where I live is relatively organised - all the construction is to standard designs and done by the developers sub-contractors.  None of them allowed to stay on site after hours.  Security patrol the area and a strictish policy of 10pm curfew is in place so no drinking outside after 10pm (within reason) . Negative point is the dog situation - the 2 dog max policy is not followed at all - I do not know what it is with people here and dogs but it's the more the merrier despite keeping them locked up pretty much all the time.  

All in all it works and people follow the rules in the main(dog situation excepted). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1