Citizenship help for young person

Manananangal
Posted
Posted

Hello all, 

Reaching out to gain wisdom for a friend.  There is a woman I have known for years, but have not talked to for about 20 years.  She found me on facebook and asked for help.  Her basic situation sounds like she was the girlfriend of an Aussie for about 14 years.  I think he would visit periodically and supported her and the son they had. About 5 years ago the support stopped and they have been trying to scrape by.  I am not sure what caused the current crisis, but she is too old (she says) to get a job now as a cashier or other (over 50).  She approached me for money to start an Avon business.  However, it seems the best option would be if her son could get his citizenship and then he could work overseas.  I think the father has cut off contact and I am not sure what options they have.  Any ideas how they can proceed?  Do they contact the Australian embassy?  I am sure there are hordes of kids all over the world in a similar situation.  However, in my simple mind it seems he would just be claiming citizenship that should be his based on birthright.  Seems a shame to have a life full of difficulty if there is another way.  Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts.

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

I'm sure my Aussie friends could provide more insight as to their specific laws but here's some general things.

Paperwork...is the dad's name on the young man's birth certificate or can it be proved he's the father?

Can the woman proved that he supported her and lived with her?  No sure what the Philippines considers to be common law marriage or if Australia has such a law.

Australian embassy might be a good place to start.  Another thing is she sought you out after 20 years to ask for money for a business.  Word of advice.  No way, jose!

First post ever in two years of membership?  Then welcome to the forum.😀

Manananangal
Posted
Posted

Thank you Balisidar.  All good questions. I will probably compile a list of ideas for her and try to point her in a direction that may bear fruit. I am not sure of many of the specifics.

Actually I just dont do well keeping passwords.  I also have an account "Corey" I started after I lost access to this one.  Now I don't have the password to "Corey" or that email acct.:)  

Hear you on the money request.   I do have a hard time saying no, but now days I am usually  able to say no in the end. I know the money won't fix the problem and will only lead to another request.  If only I could fix someone's life for $500, I would do it in a heart beat.  I guess that wisdom is what comes with age (and bad experiences).  However,  I am not opposed to spending some time to try to help her.  

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Manananangal said:

I also have an account "Corey" I started after I lost access to this one.  Now I don't have the password to "Corey" or that email acct.:)  

Might have been best to ask as we could have sorted that out. 

2 hours ago, Manananangal said:

but she is too old (she says) to get a job now as a cashier or other (over 50). 

Pretty much correct unless has been with a company a long time. Otherwise once you reach 30 if lucky it's the end of the road except some types of jobs. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

The hard part will be getting the documentary proof when there is no contact with the father I believe.  The child will need to have documents proving citizenship by descent from an Australian parent.  I suggest contacting the Australian embassy in Manila.

https://www.passports.gov.au/passports-explained/child-quick-guide-applying-passport

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Hopefully the father will have some decency in him, and supply a DNA test sample, as well as any needed documents. 

....And this is exactly why I made sure my Philippines-born son was sorted out with a British passport..... as a priority, very early in his life.

Who knows what lies 'just down the road' ?  At least gift your child its full rights in life.  

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Hopefully the father will have some decency in him, and supply a DNA test sample, as well as any needed documents. 

There is a friend of the family with an Australian father (who is no longer around, not sure what happened) who is in this situation, she's been unable to progress the child's passport either.  I strongly agree with what you say but it is I regret to say a common situation for young Filipino women to find themselves in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Manananangal
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for the ideas.  I have inquired a little more.  Seems she has contacted the embassy in the past and they said she should write Pres. Duerte and/or sue the Father?  Anyway, I will copy and paste the original in case someone else interprets differently - not the best English.  She did tell me the guy was a married man, so I dont think he wants any official recognition. I am somewhat surprised the support lasted as long as it did.

"Opo. Need me na to move write our President. Pres Duterte as that's the advice of some atourney n the Australian embaccy. Just get d opsition that if ever not me to go in higher level as if d father of my son either if I can talk n Dow my own way to rare this children of my own way by not bothering him I will do n did this but sad I no opsition but to sue him. Indeed not him acknowledged my son no paper I giv except DNA"

Manananangal
Posted
Posted
On 7/6/2019 at 1:46 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Might have been best to ask as we could have sorted that out. 

Pretty much correct unless has been with a company a long time. Otherwise once you reach 30 if lucky it's the end of the road except some types of jobs. 

So, you are saying it is not by complete random chance that every worker I have ever seen is a young attractive person:)

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Manananangal said:

Thank you all for the ideas.  I have inquired a little more.  Seems she has contacted the embassy in the past and they said she should write Pres. Duerte and/or sue the Father?  Anyway, I will copy and paste the original in case someone else interprets differently - not the best English.  She did tell me the guy was a married man, so I dont think he wants any official recognition. I am somewhat surprised the support lasted as long as it did.

"Opo. Need me na to move write our President. Pres Duterte as that's the advice of some atourney n the Australian embaccy. Just get d opsition that if ever not me to go in higher level as if d father of my son either if I can talk n Dow my own way to rare this children of my own way by not bothering him I will do n did this but sad I no opsition but to sue him. Indeed not him acknowledged my son no paper I giv except DNA"

So..

There's a bit of a language barrier so the embassy pretty much blew her off sounds like.  If she goes there to talk to them again she might want to take along a translator so there's no confusion.  Writing a letter to Duterte, sounds to me like they loaded up on sarcasm.

Sounds like he's not listed on the birth certificate so a court ordered DNA report is her only option.  Not sure how the Australian government would handle that.  If she has no other paperwork or proof it's just a "he said, she said".

Sad..but unless she gets help from the embassy, he starts supporting again or she comes up with some viable paperwork doesn't seem like much more can be done.

• Like 2