Question about speaking English

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

Never had am issue in 15 years of coming to the Philippines and 4 years plus living here, English is a mandatory requirement of the high school education system. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 7/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, fillipino_wannabe said:

I can't have a proper conversation with most people, even if they speak good English they don't understand my accent and I'm only from Bournemouth, not like I've got a Glaswegian accent lol.

Are you suggesting that the Glaswegian accent is difficult to understand ? you cloth eared English person:biggrin::biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

At a recent family gathering , my gf,s grandmother was 90 , her family who one by one got up to speak ,all of them spoke in English for my benefit , I thought this was most welcoming of them , they were very pleased when I joined in with videoki and pinned a 1000 peso note on lolas dress , they were all pinning money on the old girl to support her in retirement 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Are you suggesting that the Glaswegian accent is difficult to understand ? you cloth eared English person:biggrin::biggrin:

Edinburgh is bad enough, took the wife there for a vacation and see the castle. We got a day pass for the bus and ask the driver if he was going near the seaside town. My mistake think he must have been from Glasgow. I couldn't understand a word he was saying so we just got on the bus, ended up near Easter rd, 'hibs football ground' which was a bonus, my dad played for them in the 40's :smile:    

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Edinburgh is bad enough, took the wife there for a vacation and see the castle. We got a day pass for the bus and ask the driver if he was going near the seaside town. My mistake think he must have been from Glasgow. I couldn't understand a word he was saying so we just got on the bus, ended up near Easter rd, 'hibs football ground' which was a bonus, my dad played for them in the 40's :smile:    

It it was recently, he was probably Polish! 

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

Never had am issue in 15 years of coming to the Philippines and 4 years plus living here, English is a mandatory requirement of the high school education system. 

English. The international language. Even the Norwegian guy that moved in across the street speaks it well enough to communicate with me. I can tell that he has trouble with it but I assured him that it's a lot better than my Norwegian. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

When i arrived in England in the early 80,s i would hsppily talk to people in my thick glaswegian accent  it was only when i stopped talking and i got a smile and a nod ,did i realise that they did not understand a word lol

I have slowed down and cleared up my accent , i now say things like head in ace of heid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It it was recently, he was probably Polish! 

Polish are all over the UK, corner shop selling Vodka lol

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Polish are all over the UK, corner shop selling Vodka lol

I'm sure they are, but obviously the ones in Scotland would be harder to understand, right?  :2245_safe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We was staying over in Gateshead / Newcastle  for a few days and went shopping and after Emma had brought some items she went up to the till to pay and this chap asked if she would like something else of the counter , well her face was a picture , she just looked at him then look at me and said I cannot understand a word he said.

• Haha 1