Price Negotiating, How Do You Handle It?

Singers
Posted
Posted

I lived with a Chinese Business woman for 6 years in S'pore . She would send me to a seat while she negotiated. Customs, Immigration Etc.Scared the daylights out of me!.One time in S'hai she had 134 kilo of Print to take S'Pore. She went from passenger 2 passenger "using" their unused allowance.She got all her (our) baggage accepted by the airline and "collected" me from my seat with a Victorious smile. NO excess baggage charge.!Western people like me are in the "small League"Tomsight for the people to realize she is married to a kano, that is until they ask her last name. :thumbs-up-smile:

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

My wife is like an extension of my own arm. We have been in businesses together for over 20 years. She is sharp, intelligent, and business trained. We discuss everything together, but she can run independently and I would have no fear or reservations of her decisions making abilities. I am quite content to send her in as a front man to do negotiations here. She is a tough woman.

• 2 years later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Just like some Chinese, they will give a good price to anyone who speaks even few Chinese words. For a foreigner who will try to do his own bargaining, these are some basic bargaining discussions;Pila? ..."How much"Ah! mahal..."Oh that's expensive..."Hangyo, pila? ...."any discount, how much?"Mahal gihapon....."still expensive"then name the price you want, if the vendor will not agree with you just politely sayOk...salamat mangita lang ko uban.....Ok Thanks...I will just look around.... With this, the vendor will sense that you are really interested to buy so the tendency is he will agree with you and call you to come back....! usually this is done in stores without tag prices...but there are also stores with tag prices who will still give you "hangyo" price if you will try lang! :hystery:
After going to the market many times over the past 3 years. i have recently tried this here in my area, the vendors it seems do give me a "lower" price than before,by using these simple words. THANKS FORUM Edited by ed villas

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Kano pricing is simply a fact of life. It actually happens to Filipinos that are perceived as rich. It is the old theory that you charge what you think the market will bear. Example, I needed an aluminum frame to hold some paving bricks I was going to use as a baking stone in my oven. I took my brother-in-law to help translate my requirements to the small aluminum frame shop (mostly they made windows and doors). I show the guy the arrangement of bricks and what I need and he quotes me 2000 pesos. I ask why so much and he says he has to buy materials. But I see plenty of scrap laying around that would be more than enough to make what I wanted. So I try to negotiate a lower price but he is adamant. I thank him and leave.Down the street a couple blocks is another shop doing the same sort of work. Now my Filipino brother-in-law knows the design I want so this time he goes in and I stay out of sight in the car. Ten minutes later he comes back and gives me the quote. "Four hundred pesos, they can have it done tomorrow." So it goes from roughly fifty bucks to ten bucks. And that is why I send my brother-in-law, my wife, or whoever to do the actual purchase. I will wander around and ask prices, check quality, and so forth. But usually I stay out of the purchase if possible. Sometimes that is impossible. I needed a turbo unit replaced on my car and my regular mechanic, a talented and honest young guy, just got work overseas. So I'm stuck with a new guy who immediately tries to hit me for almost twice the price for the work. Ouch! We talk, I whine, he thinks about it and when we are finished, I'm paying about 500 pesos more than I would have before, but about 1500 pesos than he wanted to charge me at the start. Patience and a good attitude can help.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife does all the price negotiating and I like it that way. She gets a better price than they would give me and I don't have any stress from trying to get a good deal.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Magakno to po? How much is this sirOuch super mahal talaga = ouch very expensive yes?Tawad naman kuya/mom, hindi politician ko=discount sir/madam i am not politician (smile as well, so you say i am not as rich as these politicians)Not your priceOk, kuya, bukas lang, after elections, and turn to leave. usually you get called back, some smiles always work out.But no matter what we know we always fall victim. My recent example of TODAYMy toy car burned the cylinderhead flange. Took it to a mechanic, he tells me 4500p for labor including some electrical works it needed around plus the price of spare parts. i agreed.They send the cylinderhead to the machine shop for polishing and checking if it is straight. They reply back to me that the machine shop charged 5000p, they had a receipt as well. No the price of the machine shop i doubt if it reaches the 700-800p for it.They have receipt, they have their hands on my still open car engine...i grinned but nothing i could do further....Being stabbed a good 4000p just because i thought 4500p for all is a great price....he knew how to bite me!!!!! hahahahaha!!!!!

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I absolutely abhor haggling for prices. Give me a real price and let's be done with it.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
They reply back to me that the machine shop charged 5000p, they had a receipt as well.
Reminds me of a time when I was charged 1,000P for something. They had the receipt too. Closer inspection, long after the fact, revealed that the 1,000 had originally been 100 but somebody added an extra '0'. Oh well, its 'nothing'.Can you check that receipt to see if a '0' has been added?

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
Magakno to po? How much is this sirOuch super mahal talaga = ouch very expensive yes?Tawad naman kuya/mom, hindi politician ko=discount sir/madam i am not politician (smile as well, so you say i am not as rich as these politicians)Not your priceOk, kuya, bukas lang, after elections, and turn to leave. usually you get called back, some smiles always work out.But no matter what we know we always fall victim. My recent example of TODAYMy toy car burned the cylinderhead flange. Took it to a mechanic, he tells me 4500p for labor including some electrical works it needed around plus the price of spare parts. i agreed.They send the cylinderhead to the machine shop for polishing and checking if it is straight. They reply back to me that the machine shop charged 5000p, they had a receipt as well. No the price of the machine shop i doubt if it reaches the 700-800p for it.They have receipt, they have their hands on my still open car engine...i grinned but nothing i could do further....Being stabbed a good 4000p just because i thought 4500p for all is a great price....he knew how to bite me!!!!! hahahahaha!!!!!
5000 pesos is way to high for a head job....in Angeles city its like half that, just ask JAKE. i hope he didnt bite too hard... :nudie: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: BANNED EJ.
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
5000 pesos is way to high for a head job....in Angeles city its like half that, just ask JAKE. i hope he didnt bite too hard... :nudie: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: BANNED EJ.
At that price, the head job should include port and polish too.....he, he. Even though I thought I spoke perfect Tagalog, I kind of gave up haggling over prices at the palengke (open public market).It would seem that they detected my American accent and charged accordingly. My wife is an expert haggling down the price.She starts down at 40% and will accept no higher than 60-70% of the original price. She would use all her fake emotions: pity,intimidation and sometimes a little cleavage....he, he. Yeah, it works for me! Otherwise, she walks away to another vendor.Eyes forward -- Jake