Builders , labourers

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not to sure when to put this one, if it’s in the wrong place please move it.

Do workers in the building trade break up for Christmas and if so fro when to how long .

We are planning our trip for being in the Philippines early December till very early March and are hoping to get the house liveable for myself , it’s just a shell with windows , so it’s the floor plus a couple of inner walls to be put up plus fixing lights and painting but as we have not been there for over a year or so there could be lots more .

I do know it’s going to take time to know what we are wanting but it’s the Christmas and new year break when I believe many tradesmen will be on holiday so how long are they on break for or is it cash talks and if there is work to be done they will do it no matter what day it is.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, stevewool said:

it’s the Christmas and new year break when I believe many tradesmen will be on holiday

Steve this the PI it is not at all like the Uk or any other Country, Christmas day and New Year's day is about all they will take as money matters, Having said that most shops are Open except Christmas day as norm and for me watch out for the hangovers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Whilst Jack is correct in saying money talks, you may well find that workers are even more unreliable during the festive season i.e. not turning up for work despite promising they will - Red Horse can do that to a man!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Steve this the PI it is not at all like the Uk or any other Country, Christmas day and New Year's day is about all they will take as money matters, Having said that most shops are Open except Christmas day as norm and for me watch out for the hangovers

Thanks Jack , as usual I am trying to run before I can walk on these matters .

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

Whilst Jack is correct in saying money talks, you may well find that workers are even more unreliable during the festive season i.e. not turning up for work despite promising they will - Red Horse can do that to a man!   

I am trying to do most of the work myself but that could take a lot longer , so if it can be done quicker and for not a fortune I may as well put my feet up and watch the workers ply there trade.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Mine had 1/2 day on the 24th and the whole day on the 25th then new years day off but it depends on each person and how much they need the money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

They may try to convince you to pay double if the work is done in December (13th month pay).

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

They may try to convince you to pay double if the work is done in December (13th month pay).

They can try - and expect an F Off in response!  

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

They can try - and expect an F Off in response!  

Like anything in life if it’s a great job and you are very happy then you pay what you think , but don’t take the piss .

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, stevewool said:

Like anything in life if it’s a great job and you are very happy then you pay what you think , but don’t take the piss .

True Steve, but the devil is in knowing what is a fair amount.  This is the Philippines and a labourer will earn 8 quid a day here and 10x that in the UK.  I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, but remember where we are and leave your UK budgeting back in the UK.  That said, if you do your homework then you won't get ripped off (much!)

• Hmm thinking 1