Car Aircon service

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Not to sound cynical....

In almost every single repair instance I have encountered here, there are a few common denominators.  Mechanic will have knowledge, but not the right tools.  Mechanic will have most of the right parts but not all.  When I check the work later, I'm always in shock that this is what passes for professional work.  

I have had to show pictures of the proper tool to mechanics, or take them the proper parts myself.  When you want something welded, what you really get is brazing.  When you want wiring fixed, it will just be twisted together without even solder or a crimp connection.  When you get aircon fixed, they won't replace all the seals, or pressure test it properly, or look for other system problems, etc.  

So if you find a good reputable mechanic, treat him well.  I'm at the point of nearly buying my own tools for everything, and pre-sourcing the parts needed for a repair when I do go to a mechanic.  Not sure what else to do.  

Forgive my bluntness - How much do you pay a mechanic to fix your car here compared to the USA?  Now, I know that may not be considered as being the point but the old adage "You get what you pay for" is absolutely true anywhere and everywhere.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 8/20/2019 at 12:05 AM, LUFCinMakati said:

Spot on there.

I used this product after speaking with an auto service mechanic friend. If you follow the directions it works well.

for several hundred USD the equipment to properly test and service simple auto aircon issues can be had. Perhaps a good small business for someone.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Perhaps a good small business for someone.

Be careful suggesting that.  Many do it, but any retail business with less than US$2.5 Million invested is off limits to any and all foreigners.  Locals are starting to get upset at foreigners who skirt the grey areas and people can be deported for that.  Here is a recent news article on it.

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/05/07/keep-foreigners-out-of-sme-retail-business-pra/

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Be careful suggesting that.  Many do it, but any retail business with less than US$2.5 Million invested is off limits to any and all foreigners.  Locals are starting to get upset at foreigners who skirt the grey areas and people can be deported for that.  Here is a recent news article on it.

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/05/07/keep-foreigners-out-of-sme-retail-business-pra/

Yes you are absolutely correct Dave. I was thinking Filipino family member should have made this clear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

I used this product after speaking with an auto service mechanic friend. If you follow the directions it works well.

That's a good suggestion, Old. However, it might be wise for Marvin to go back to the beginning of this thread and review the previous posts to maybe save himself some aggravation as he works toward a fix? The concept behind A/C is fairly straightforward, but there a lot of little things to check, that any novice can do - any one (or more) of which could jazz his system. Just my opinion:smile:.

Edited by Tommy T.
alter content
  • Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Don't get me wrong guys.  Auto mechanics is near and dear to my heart.  While I understand the 'shortcut' mentality, I do at least expect professional businesses to be professional.  That has been the hardest adjustment, but I've adjusted.  For the record, I love it in Philippines and have no intention of ever moving.  The good far outweighs the bad.  As I collect my own tools, will be relying less and less on local mechanics though ;) 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Marvin, good for you!

Since 1968, when my parents gave me a tool set for my birthday, I have accumulated tools. Whenever I needed work done on a car or my yacht, most of the time I bought appropriate tools and did the work myself - with exceptions! My reasoning was that, if something breaks or needs service once, it will likely need it again...

Here are pictures of most of my tools, so far, just for the fun of showing them:

20190920_091511_resized.jpg

20190920_091520_resized.jpg

20190920_091533_resized.jpg

20190920_091638_resized.jpgI  have them all out now to clean and oil and de-rust the 40 year old tool box!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Tommy, if only I had my big roll-away and 30-year tool collection from before!  It still pains me...  I guess my uncle is enjoying them now :)

Already formulating plans after we build, for my own hobby shop.  Gonna have all the stuff that was against zoning regs in the US suburbs, haha.  

• Like 1