Ham Radio

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi @RobH

I was reading your comment in "Plant a tree" topic where you mentioned your hobby was ham radio. I am thinking about starting it up again after our new home is built.

That's one of my hobbies too. In which country did you get licensed? Did you get a reciprocal license here in Philippines? If so, can you tell me about the process?

Thanks and cheers!

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi @robh.

I was reading your comment in "Plant a tree" topic where you mentioned your hobby was ham radio. I am thinking about starting it up again after our new home is built.

That's one of my hobbies too. In which country did you get licensed? Did you get a reciprocal license here in Philippines? If so, can you tell me about the process?

Thanks and cheers!

I don't think your link worked Tom i.e. @robh isn't highlighted so maybe he won't see it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Okay, HK, thanks! I will go to where I see him highlighted and try  again. Appreciate your help.:smile:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi @robh.

Thanks and cheers!

@RobH Just helping Tom out here:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Jack! I was struggling with how to do this. Will try again now.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well Tom, Rob has had the Quote now so up to you my friend :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Well Tom, Rob has had the Quote now so up to you my friend :wink:

Thanks again, Jack. Finally got it. I did the same thing as first time but must have moved my cursor slightly so it didn't take. This time it worked. This old dog sometimes can learn new tricks (if you train him and show him many times!):biggrin:

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

This site is fairly easy to Navigate but sometimes we can get too clever with ourselves, Odd really but every now and then even a PC savvy person can fall foul of certain things such as this issue and getting Photos on Line properly, but we are here to help each Other WOT! :tiphat:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

This site is fairly easy to Navigate but sometimes we can get too clever with ourselves, Odd really but every now and then even a PC savvy person can fall foul of certain things such as this issue and getting Photos on Line properly, but we are here to help each Other WOT! :tiphat:

I agree, but it did take me a while - and some guidance - regarding quotes and links. I will still make more mistakes - that is part of my nature. :unsure: Well, and I am not really that PC savvy. I sometimes keep doing things over and over making small changes until it works - eventually. I do appreciate all the help I have received from members for my many questions.:cheersty:

• Like 1

RobH
Posted
Posted

Hi Tommy. I have a reciprocal licence, my original licence is UK. You need to email PARA they will give you all the requirements. Its not terribly expensive or difficult but you need your home country valid licence. They do like you to Join PARA which is useful. I had an antenna stuck in customs for 3 weeks, because they didn't know the rules, email to PARA here in 2 days. they also prefer you to get a Philippine licence, but I won't take 5 trips to Manilla to do the exams. I finished all that in 1976.I am just too old to do it all again. The 2 Meter and 70 Cms bands are not policed, lots and lots of bootleggers, so bad I dont use either now.

Buying equipment, second hand stuff is mostly cheap Chinese hand helds or 30 year old crap, best to import, beware of the customs they make it up as they go along. Check Australia or the US for best prices. Very little HF stuff for sale here. No towers or antennas available. the population here is about 100 million, 8 thousand hams, 98 percent VHF/UHF only even those that have the full licence can't afford the equipment UK 65 million 60 thousand hams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2