Spam in the Philippines

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, hk blues said:

I like spam but my wife has a habit of heating it before serving - i prefer it cold!

Some people do! I like it sliced about 1/8" thick, fried, and stacked on toast. I top it with ketchup and Sriracha. Great sandwich!

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

@Dave Hounddriver

Sorry I prolonged this thread but it seems we took the cast-offs and made luncheon meat from them! :smile:

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

So do I... but everyone else I know hates it.

Your friends and acquaintances clearly have better taste than you Geoff!

• Haha 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, GeoffH said:

So do I... but everyone else I know hates it.

When it comes to spam, everyday is fryday.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I wanted to attend this festival but was never able to make it.  The "tool belt" competition was always exciting to watch. :hystery:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/jun/23/manly-men-crown-spam-queen-parade-draws-about-250/

Being crowned Spam Queen on Saturday at the Manly Men Parade and Spam Festival was a dream come true for Sandy Lee Johnson, who beamed proudly as she held a scepter topped by a bejeweled can of Spam and wore another one as a crown.

“I grew up in the ‘50s and ‘60s and watched ‘Queen for a Day’ on television,” said Johnson, clutching a bouquet of wildflowers and wearing a floor-length pink frilly dress a friend picked up at a thrift store.

“I always fantasized about being queen, and now I’m acting it out.”

Her entry into the essay contest to the Order of Manly Men pulled every punch she could think of.

“I can think of no greater privilege or honor than participating in the establishment of a Manly Men’s ritual that is sure to become a long held and revered tradition by which our children and grandchildren will guide their lives,” she wrote.

Johnson and her four Spam princesses rode in the Manly Men parade down Roslyn’s Pennsylvania Avenue, which fans of the old television program “Northern Exposure” recognize as Main Street in the fictional town of Cicely.

Black-leather-clad men rode their Harley-Davidson motorcycles in circles around the manly vehicles in the parade, including Jeeps, an Army truck, a tow truck and a Bud Light beer truck.

About 250 people lined the street to watch. The locals enjoyed the silliness of the event, but none would admit to wanting to join the Order of the Manly Men, which claims 1,000 members nationwide.

R.M. Crane, self-proclaimed president-for-life of the Order of Manly Men, founded the group five years ago after his wife ribbed him about an all-male camping trip he took by the Cle Elum River.

Other events Saturday included the Manliest Toolbelt Competition, an amateur Spam cook-off and a softball game between the Manly Men and the Bloomer Girls.

Roslyn Mayor Dave Divelbiss rode through the parade in a Jeep Wrangler with a shotgun.

“It’s just a lot of tongue-in-cheek stuff,” he said after the parade.

Roslyn, he said, was the perfect place for the Manly Men Parade.

“This was a rugged old town, full of coal miners. So I think it’s appropriate that it starts here.”

Meanwhile, Spam was temporarily on the menu at The Brick tavern, where they served Spam shooters and chunks of Spam adorned the toothpicks in the Bloody Marys.

The Order of Manly Men can be reached at 1-800-99MANLY.

• Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

When it comes to spam, everyday is fryday.

Fryday is for fish. :th_thbarbaque:

DavidK
Posted
Posted

The Philippines is possibly the only country in the world that could turn spam into a delicacy.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DavidK said:

The Philippines is possibly the only country in the world that could turn spam into a delicacy.

Try Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Polynesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Japan(!)? Sorry David...

Hmmm... I think maybe England too? At least that was the impression I got when I watched "The Meaning of Life" by Monty Python. I reckon if I can't believe them, who CAN I believe?

Oh... and the American state of Hawaii for sure!:laugh:

Edited by Tommy T.
Add more comment.
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

Fryday is for fish. :th_thbarbaque:

Jim...that looks like burnt burger to me...:hystery: