I can't cook

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

@jerry921, I have written this for you. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. It isn't meant to criticize you but to maybe assist you a bit. Cooking a few simple things is not really difficult. So I will tell you how to make something here...

BLT - Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich:

You will need to have in your apartment/condo/home:

Stove top, cutting board or counter, sharp knife, plate, frypan (preferably non-stick), spatula or tongs, paper towels, appetite, a bottle or can of San Miguel Pilsen.

You will need to shop for and buy:

Regular bacon (thin sliced is best for this)

Bread or bun - like burger bun

Mayonnaise

Lettuce

Tomato(s)

Butter

Method:

Rinse a couple of lettuce leaves and a tomato. Shake the water off the lettuce. Slice the tomato to make about 1/4" slices - two slices are enough. 

Take the bread or burger-type bun and spread some butter on one side (the inside if burger bun)

Heat up the fry pan with about 1/2 heat then place bread or bun inside. Slide it around a bit to spread the butter around. Keep an eye on it and and check it frequently for looking toasty. When it looks a bit toasty, then flip it over and do it again on the other side. Each side should take maybe 1  minute if the fire is a bit hot.

Remove the bread/bun and set aside on a plate. Slather some mayo on both pieces of bread or bun.

Place 2-4 strips of bacon in the pan (depending on how much you like bacon - I always do 4 because I am a bit of a pig about bacon:smile:)

Fry the bacon at a low to moderate temperature - not hot, or you will burn it. Turn it when it starts browning on the first side. (If it's smoking, your heat is too high.) When it is looking fairly brown on both sides, then remove to a plate where you have placed a folded paper towel. The paper towel will absorb the grease.

Break the bacon as needed to fit then place on the bread/bun bottom. Add tomato slices, the lettuce and then the top bread or bun.... Voilla! You have your very first BLT! Eat and enjoy the sandwich with the cold beer!

Now... If you feel like you have learned a bit, try my enhanced version of the above - 

The BLTCEO - Bacon Lettuce Tomato, Cheese, Egg, Onion Sandwich

Extras to buy are:

Cheese (I buy blocks of cheese and slice them thick, but you can just buy pre-sliced cheese in packages)

Eggs

Onion

Really best with a hefty burger bun, if available (I find "Brioche Buns" in some bakeries here)

Mustard - I prefer Dijon mustard...that's just my taste everyone's tastes are different...

Method:

All same as before, EXCEPT:

Before cooking the bacon, take one egg and open it up into a small bowl then beat it a few times with a fork.

Take the onion and slice two or three slices about 1/8" thick, if you can.

If you buy the block cheese, slice it about 1/4 inch to make two slices.

Toast the bun then slather first with mayo then with mustard. You can do that with both sides.

Cook the bacon and drain on the paper towels.

Drain off the grease from the frypan and then dump in the egg. Let the egg cook a bit until solid, then either flip it or just fold the sides onto the middle - it will only take a minute or so to cook this much in a moderate heat.

Break up bacon as needed to fit and place on bottom bun. Then place egg on top followed by cheese,, then onion, tomato, lettuce, bun.

If you are feeling more comfortable about cooking, you can cook the onion slices in the frying pan after the bacon cooks in some of the bacon grease and before cooking the egg. Just set it aside on another plate to add after the egg on the sandwich.

I hope this helps you to try to cook!

Cheers!:cheersty:

Sounds easier and cheaper to go get a Big Mac. :28:

• Haha 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Howard said:

Pure foods makes a decent bacon.:smile:

I guess My Friend you mean sell a good bacon cos my daughter once told me that Pigs make Bacon ( she was about 7) :shades:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Sounds easier and cheaper to go get a Big Mac.

AK... Where's your sense of adventure? Creativity? You can get drunk while preparing your burger or BLT or Whatever? And the home-made version will have lots more carbs, cholesterol, fats than even McD's can provide... What's not to like about that?

You are sounding like a troglodyte... Of course, I mean that with all due respect...:hystery:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Sounds easier and cheaper to go get a Big Mac

Also easy not to quote a very long post in full. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

AK... Where's your sense of adventure? Creativity? You can get drunk while preparing your burger or BLT or Whatever? And the home-made version will have lots more carbs, cholesterol, fats than even McD's can provide... What's not to like about that?

You are sounding like a troglodyte... Of course, I mean that with all due respect...:hystery:

I'm much too busy laying around watching TV and such. And please stop using words that I have to Google!:santahat:

• Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

My nearest MaccyD's is 10 miles away. ...and my burgers are at least twice as big, and twice as tasty...and I know whose hands have been on them.   :dance: 

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Also easy not to quote a very long post in full. 

I forgot!:Zap:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I'm much too busy laying around watching TV and such. And please stop using words that I have to Google!:santahat:

Ah... so you tergiversate when it comes to projects? Eschew obfuscation when you post, please. And stop using the Santa and Christmas icons and maybe I will be nice to you!!!!:wave: Went to SM yesterday and the "Frosty the Snowman" and others drove me nuts. It was nice to go into a store that was just blasting head-bashing "music?".:cheersty:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, graham59 said:

My nearest MaccyD's is 10 miles away. ...and my burgers are at least twice as big, and twice as tasty...and I know whose hands have been on them.   :dance: 

That's not what SHE said!:56fdd33e91832_santalaugh:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, graham59 said:

.and I know whose hands have been on them.

AND, you know where those hands have been!!!!:huh:

• Like 1