Internal walls

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

"You get what you pay for" is generally true when it comes to paint with a few exceptions, such as Sherwin-Williams brand being on of the exceptions.  Their pricing scheme is to support the contractors and rape the consumer/DIYer.

I really liked the Behr paint products.  I always went for there top of the line paint.  Excellent coverage and held up very well to cleaning.  I have not seen it here.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

We had a paint finish in the US that was between Flat and Semi-Gloss called Eggshell which was the most popular paint finish.  Very durable but with a low sheen.  I don't know if it is available here in the Philippines.  

That's exactly the same product I had in my home many years ago in USA. I could wash it and it stood up to that so many times. It was also very easy on the eyes - no glare - and helped conceal minor imperfections in the sheet rock walls and ceiling... I would love to find that here but will not hold my breath...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Mike J said:

That looks like something that I am familiar with.  You add quite a bit of white sand to your drywall mud.  You also have to add water to thin out the mixture as you add the sand.  You then wad up a loose ball of paper about the size of a softball or maybe a bit larger.  You then take a piece of heavy plastic film, and place the paper ball in the center of the plastic.  Twist the plastic so now you have a loose ball of paper, wrapped in plastic, and the twisted part will act as a handle.  Dip the ball in the mud/sand mix and push it against the ceiling, repeat in a random pattern, but leave spaces between the mud that is being applied.  At this point it will look like crap.  Don't worry, magic is about to happen.  Before it begins to dry, use a smooth float to knock down and flatten the messy looking splotches.  Do areas of about 10 -12 square feet at a time.  Now it looks great.   If you want better than great, first paint the ceiling white then do the mud/sand treatment.  The mud/sand in addition to having a different texture, will also have a slightly different color.  I really like this kind of ceiling treatment, subtle, attractive, and doesn't collect a lot of dirt and webs.  This is one of those things you might want to practice first on some scrap materials.   Not difficult at all, but it requires just a little practice to get the right touch.

In my case, they just rolled it on.  I can't remember what kind of roller they used.  They did take their time and were doing it slowly.  Seemed to know what they were doing.

• Like 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
On 10/5/2019 at 6:51 AM, Mike J said:

I really liked the Behr paint products.  I always went for there top of the line paint.  Excellent coverage and held up very well to cleaning.  I have not seen it here.

You probably won't see Behr paint products here until there is a US Home Depot here as Home Depot has purchased the exclusivity rights to that brand.  They do market under other names such as Kilz and Masterchem.  I know this as I worked the paint desk in a Home Depot before I came here. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hobbit112 said:

You probably won't see Behr paint products here until there is a US Home Depot here as Home Depot has purchased the exclusivity rights to that brand.  They do market under other names such as Kilz and Masterchem.  I know this as I worked the paint desk in a Home Depot before I came here. :smile:

I take it that the Philippines Home Depot is not the same as the US Home Depot, just a coinsidence in names.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I take it that the Philippines Home Depot is not the same as the US Home Depot, just a coinsidence in names.

My guess would be total ripoff of company name... We are in the Philippines...

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

The strange thing I noticed here is even the gloss paint is not what I'd call gloss i.e. it's not thick and doesn't take 12+ hours to dry here.  The term here seems to refer only to the "shine" .  I'd say enamel here is the closest to the gloss we have back in the UK - I don't like the finish with enamel paint though.  

Edited by hk blues