Bullion & Coin

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Yes thats the one site I found as well, and they seem pretty new.  I will probably give them a try unless a more local option can be found.  There are always coins on Facebook and what not, but I'm not as much interested in numismatics.

There's lots of dodgy coins on ebay, especially gold pandas and krugerrands

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes my neighbour has a map and is looking for sponsors.

P100 and a bottle of Tanduay good enough? Sounds like a good outing.:laugh:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mike J said:

Just go to northern Luzon and ask for "Lolo" and look for a rock shaped like a turtle, or was that a pyramid, maybe it was a gorilla?  :hystery:

Watch out for the cyanide bottles at the bottom of a hole, if you find a hole, at the pyramid shaped turtle!!:hystery:

• Haha 1

brmpipes
Posted
Posted

Buying gold would be the easiest way to convert Philippine money to something that is useable anywhere in the world. Without the hassle of banking records and transaction details being recorded for future use against you.

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted
On 10/10/2019 at 2:55 PM, brmpipes said:

Buying gold would be the easiest way to convert Philippine money to something that is useable anywhere in the world. Without the hassle of banking records and transaction details being recorded for future use against you.

I went to a gold shop in Portugal where i am at the moment, i wanted to buy a gold chain, i saw what they had and compared a few, what caught my eye was a 60cm chain,  20 grams, 19.2 ct for €1630 (php 92,737.00) i was tempted to buy it but i held off, something told me it was a bad deal, i have bought many gold chains in Thailand where the gold there is 22 carat and the prices are good, i saw the same 60cm chain, 20 grams, but 18 carat for sale in Australia for the same price, if anyone on this forum can contribute to my conundrum,  for future investment, should i buy gold chains or gold coins, which would be easier to sell if we ended up in a new economic crisis, i'm not sure in which direction to go. Also has anyone bought gold in Dubai, any feedback please. Yamashita's gold, let's go find it.

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I suspect that gold from a recognised mint would be easiest to sell in the event of some sort of global crash.  It’s available in various sizes with the originating mint and the purity stamped on it.  Or you can buy coins which can be used as currency also.  Or just as a collectible.

The fees related to buying and selling favour larger ingots over smaller ones because with small ones the fee is a larger percentage of the cost of the ingot. Sizes between a gram and a kilogram (or 50 Oz) are common (larger sizes are available but not common).

I’m not sure about the Philippines gold laws but there are gold depositories where you can store your gold after buying in various countries, however that won’t work if you want the gold with you because the gold remains in the depository (think if it as a bank just for gold or mini Fort Knox places).

Silver bullion and Platinum bullion are also available, silver is cheaper per gram but otherwise is available in similar size bars and ingots.  Platinum is also traded but I don’t know much about it.

I’ve used Perth mint in the past but there are a number of recognised mints (NB Perth don’t send to the Philippines I was just using them as an example).

It is a complicated area and I would suggest careful research before jumping in.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

There are gold chains specifically designed that individual links can be taken off or added. They come in many sizes.

Geoff, I would think your suggestion is the safest. Known ingots or coins from recognized mints.

• Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In the past I bought some "gold nugget jewelry" in the Yukon.  The plan was to have it for an investment which travelled with me wherever I went and was a hedge against inflation.  You can easily sell it to a gold trader who would just melt it down.  That may have been what the person who stole it from me did.  Or maybe she/he just took it to a pawn shop.  Very unsecure investment.  Easily walks off.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Okay... maybe this is off topic, and if so, I apologize...

All this talk about gold seems to be talking about the future apocalypse - which may or may not happen. 

If there is such an event when currencies have no value... what value will gold really have? The values will be in food, weapons, water and tools - whatever is required to sustain life..

Sorry... but I just don't understand the need to stockpile gold. Sure, it is pretty and useful for many things, but what will it do for anyone in a disaster?...

Just my opinion...

Edited by Tommy T.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

just don't understand the need to stockpile gold

Try to leave the Philippines with more than US$10,000 in cash.  Didn't work for you?  Try to leave the Philippines with more than US$10,000 worth of gold made into jewelry.  No problem.

EDIT:  Plus, add in the fact that savvy investors know that gold will go up in value faster than dollar bills.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2