How far away is your power transformer?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, fototek1 said:

Did I mention I am an American Electrical Engineer????

Bit off topic but you might know. If I wanted to run 380V machines such as fryers would it be easy to do so in commercial premises in a city.

fototek1
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Bit off topic but you might know. If I wanted to run 380V machines such as fryers would it be easy to do so in commercial premises in a city.

Where there is a will there is a way! Voltage can be changed with a transformer. If for some reason frequency needs to be changed it could get a bit more complicated. A power converter can change both. I have used both GOHZ http://www.gohz.com/frequency-converter and Layer https://www.layer.it/en/category/power-en/frequency-converters/ for commercial applications throughout the world. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Patryk
Posted
Posted
On 6/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, fototek1 said:

BTW, Did I mention I am an American Electrical Engineer????? It's been extremely difficult for me to deal with the way electrical is done in this country but I am just rolling with the process here. 

I can feel you, every single time I have to see an installation at my rented house I ask myself "why"  and "how". Why somebody would install 32A 400v industrial breakers at led lights circuit (basically for all circuits). Do you think somebody was thinking why cables come in different sizes, or just bought the 1mm^2 for the whole building? What is this funny 3rd wire which is not needed for devices to work ? 

At first I was, thinking it is just a violation of safety in order to buy the cheapest materials possible. (of course somebody wants me to connect induction cooker at kitchen to see my house burn) However, when I needed to fix my sockets I realized they were just connected by somebody blindfolded until the time it "works". 

And the cherry on top is lazada/shopee, for example, if you want to buy  a wall socket with a grounding prong, you have to search for  "aircon socket", of course, there is no need for extra protection with other devices as installations are super safe.

Screenshot_2022-12-01-16-03-27-627_com.whatsapp_2.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Here in Davao, L has informed me - from Davao Light - that there are restrictions on the number of household connections permitted per transformer. Our home is in a mostly rural area and the lines are long running to our home and our neighbours. We were informed that we just barely were eligible to connect without adding a new transformer due to excess load or whatever there reasoning was. However, a new home is being constructed close by and they somehow were permitted to connect to the same line... When they are welding or grinding things, our lights dim and the several backup power packs will click and sometimes beep because of the voltage drop. It was too expensive at the time of construction (and still expensive now), but I think I will have our reliable Sparky install an AVR for us soon. I want to protect our refer, freezer and air/con units, not to mention the lights, TV and computers we run all the time...

It appears that the requirement for extra transformers or heavier cable or whatever...seems to be fluid, subjective and selective... I will leave it at that...

• Like 4