I want ,I want ,I want

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Mine drives and very well. Both in Philippines and Abu Dhabi. Works well for us as I drive to the places sober and she drives home. Cant understand why you wouldn't want that! Don't forget Steve you won't be around forever so whats best for her should count too. Just my view.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

I drove and taught some with mine, but was too stressful, although it reminded me that most of Us grew up riding in cars, often front seat and no belts, etc back when, and our brains continually computed all that was going on, then on to riding GoKarts at age 10 and driving the family wagon down street at 14 before licensing and driving family car all over the place, etc.  My wife had had not grown up riding in cars; so, had none of the spatial concepts when arrived USA in 2012, but we worked on it and got her permit.  Then moved to Japan 2015 and paid for her lessons there and she learned to drive left side road and right side drivers seat enough to get around on short shopping trips once licensed.  We returned to US late 2017 and once we got a Nissan Leaf elec car she could drive for size while I had my SUV, she started driving with me and increased weekly until got her license a yr later.....YEA!  Freedom!!....I freed us both up to be able to get around without always joined at hip and well worth the $10K we paid for the Leaf with only 15K miles on it.  She drives our kiddo to school and doc appointments and meets up with the gal pas some, etc while I work a post retirement gig.   She still won't drive on freeway yet though.

My point is all in all, worth every penny to get her to learn to drive and the independence that created for her and freedom for us both when needed.  Now just need get her learn to drive the SUV and go back to 1 car some point.   Funny side story is her mom in PI just wants to know if she can Park!

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well I have looked at the budget and I have asked her again does she want to drive, her answer ‘ not really’, but can I teach her to save money , my answer yes I can teach you but it might not save our marriage.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/23/2019 at 7:30 PM, graham59 said:

Would have been better spending it on that boob job she wanted. :rolleyes:

Maybe you would still be married? :89:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Well I have looked at the budget and I have asked her again does she want to drive, her answer ‘ not really’, but can I teach her to save money , my answer yes I can teach you but it might not save our marriage.

Her learning to drive might save your life someday.

One main reason my wife learned was in case she needed to drive me to the hospital.  You never know when something might happen and ambulance service here ain't the best.  Or perhaps you are driving and something happens.

My wife doesn't drive that much but is slowly building more confidence.  No problem for her to take the kids to school or go to our favorite shopping.  Like all newer drivers, parking in type spots is scary.  Our Brio is kinda her car but now she is starting to like driving the big trailblazer.  A week ago I had a dual dash cam mirror installed on the Brio so she has a rear view mirror camera, along with 4 sensors on the rear bumper to warn of close objects when maneuvering.  Money well spent!

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

It’s like many things at first you think it’s a wast of time , but later like you and many others have said, later on in life it could be the best thing ever , that’s why I asked her again, but it seems it was another passing paced AGAIN.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

L always pesters me to learn to drive. I am afraid because she has a short attention span. But as OMW expressed... it would be good for her to know how to drive in case I become incapacitated or ill at home or on the road... It is a bit of a conundrum... I guess she would probably be safe and drive - like someone mentioned on another thread - at no more than 20 km/hr in second gear... (even though it is an automatic)...

But I know she would then want to drive a car to school every day and not ride in jeepneys... and I can't blame her for that - so hot, slow and sometimes wet in rainy weather...

So, I have started to teach her to drive and also to explain "proper" etiquette and procedures verses local non-etiquette and non-procedures... I will let you know how this goes... So far, only backing up and going forward with seatbelt on and looking in all directions... There is progress...sortof...

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

L always pesters me to learn to drive. I am afraid because she has a short attention span. But as OMW expressed... it would be good for her to know how to drive in case I become incapacitated or ill at home or on the road... It is a bit of a conundrum... I guess she would probably be safe and drive - like someone mentioned on another thread - at no more than 20 km/hr in second gear... (even though it is an automatic)...

But I know she would then want to drive a car to school every day and not ride in jeepneys... and I can't blame her for that - so hot, slow and sometimes wet in rainy weather...

So, I have started to teach her to drive and also to explain "proper" etiquette and procedures verses local non-etiquette and non-procedures... I will let you know how this goes... So far, only backing up and going forward with seatbelt on and looking in all directions... There is progress...sortof...

Just buy her some classes, saves all the stress.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Just buy her some classes, saves all the stress.

Agree completely.  It will save stress for both parties.  I bought my wife lessons in the USA.  The first day of class we were talking at dinner.  My wife said, "I didn't know that you had to use brakes and accelerator in a car.  I thought you just had to steer".   After she finished  the lessons and had a learning permit I would go out with her to practice driving.  We were heading towards home on a road where the speed limit was 30 mph.  I told she could turn right at next street.  As she approaches the street she does not start to slow down and I think she must want to turn at the next street.  Wrong!   She cranks the wheel to the right at 30mph!  She does make the corner but continues to turn and the right front tire jumps the curb and is on the sidewalk.   :Caught: I reached over, grabbed the wheel, and got us back on the road.  When I ask her why she did that she said she was "maintaining the 30mph speed limit".   Scared the crap out of me.  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm half joking but not completely - if your partners are as bad/nervous drivers as it seems I wonder if calling a taxi wouldn't be safer and/or quicker in an emergency! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1