Aggresive $$$$ Filipinas during Christmas season?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'll be visiting Philippines during Christmas for the first time. A reliable source informed me I would be in danger of rouge Filipinas "pursuing" me for Christmas money. :mellow: Am I in danger?  Have Expats experienced this phenomena, any tips or suggestions?

Not sure she's yanking my chain or warning me.

• Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Am I in danger? 

Not really dangerous, but I've had some harassing experiences during my Christmas times in the Philippines.

There were always plenty of children (around 10 to 12 y.o.) who would grab my arm and say:

"Give me your money!" or "I want your money!"

Don't make eye contact with them, pull your arm away from them, and keep on walking.

Edited by Jack D
clarification
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Never experienced anything like that, but try leaving jollybee, McDonald’s or any eating places with out lots of kids next to you with there hands held out, so make sure you have lots of change, or treat them to some chicken or burger, make there Christmas.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I have not experienced that, but it is very common for small groups of children to sing Christmas carols and ask for coins.  I very seldom give to beggars but I do give coins to the children who sing. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

L and I give selectively to needy people. But we try to not encourage the beggars that approach our car, or taxi. Maybe I am mean, but I really don't appreciate the aggressive beggars... We give to selective individuals or organizations that really need and use any aid responsibly - not just for drugs, alcohol, cigarettes. I just decided recently that, if I see a kid or adult who really looks needy, that I will buy and give to them a piece of chicken and rice or something like that, rather than just money... Rightly or wrongly, it seems like the proper and best thing to do...

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

I was in the drive thru at Jollybees when a small girl who looked really needy was standing by the cars in line with her hand out.  I asked her if she were hungry and she said yes.  I told her to wait past the pick-up window.  I ordered her a burger and then gave it to her and she replied with a big smile and thank you.  I felt good seeing her run away across the parking lot down the street.  By the time I got thru the traffic and down the street a short way, I saw her again standing beside a man,(maybe her father), the man was eating the burger I bought for her.:sad:.   I stopped again and gave her a piece of chicken from our bucket and drove on.  I don't know for sure but I hope she was able to eat it.

I feel for that skinny girl. I hope that guy wasn't just sort of her pimp - maybe for food only? That would be super sad...

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

I was in the drive thru at Jollybees when a small girl who looked really needy was standing by the cars in line with her hand out.  I asked her if she were hungry and she said yes.  I told her to wait past the pick-up window.  I ordered her a burger and then gave it to her and she replied with a big smile and thank you.  I felt good seeing her run away across the parking lot down the street.  By the time I got thru the traffic and down the street a short way, I saw her again standing beside a man,(maybe her father), the man was eating the burger I bought for her.:sad:.   I stopped again and gave her a piece of chicken from our bucket and drove on.  I don't know for sure but I hope she was able to eat it.

I think a lot of street kids have controllers nearby waiting for their "profits".

Here in Subic we have Aeta indian kids hanging out at the Royal Duty Free parking lot and at McDonalds, but they are slightly different in that they are pushing vegetables for sale while their controller or parent lounges in the shade nearby.  I don't usually give anything because I hate seeing kids used.  Aeta people are very small so it is hard to judge their ages, but the kids look very young.  One older one, a boy maybe 10-14, is already turning Bading, wearing girly clothes and makeup.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Badjao, plenty of those around Visayas and Mindanao. I won't give them anything, it's organized by the kids parents. Seen a pickup truck pullup and a load of kids jumped off, parents giving them directions where to go.

On the other hand, if I see a disabled person holding their hand out I would give them a few coins or food.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think a lot of street kids have controllers nearby waiting for their "profits".

Some do..I have seen them handing the money over to them. But not all. I will keep giving regardless. I might be a grouchy old guy but I do have a heart.:ohmy:

• Like 4