Aggresive $$$$ Filipinas during Christmas season?

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

When I come out of the condo at ecoland,  theres a family that yang around the gate , adds for a fruit stall , mum has a baby and waves a half empty bottle of milk , their kids are quite aggressive and shout,  give me money , I say no loudly to them 

The kids that come around the house singing Carol's,  I give a small amount of change to them 

The indigenous people make a line straight to the white man , I've been called kuripot a few times by them 

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Maybe I am mean, but I really don't appreciate the aggressive beggars

I agree. I give plenty because I can afford it. Not just to the beggar kids. I also donate money to the Barangay  feeding programs for kids. But when I'm sitting in my car, waiting for my GF to come out of a store, and the kids start cupping their greasy hands on my window to look inside my tinted windows I draw the line. Honk the horn long enough and they will go away.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

When I come out of the condo at ecoland,  theres a family that yang around the gate , adds for a fruit stall , mum has a baby and waves a half empty bottle of milk , their kids are quite aggressive and shout,  give me money , I say no loudly to them 

The kids that come around the house singing Carol's,  I give a small amount of change to them 

The indigenous people make a line straight to the white man , I've been called kuripot a few times by them 

A Scotchman Kuripot, Never. lol

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Beggers tend to come down from the mountains as my wife says and yes its that time of year ! I dont give money to them , i only give money to the genuine ones like the guy with no legs below his knees and the little granny in her usual spot every day ! We save up our new 10 and 5 peso coins for the children at xmas !

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Had one little tike give me the finger when I shook my head no. :hystery:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Just a word of warning. It is against the law to give to beggers in the Philippines.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, OnMyWay said:

I think a lot of street kids have controllers nearby waiting for their "profits".

Here in Subic we have Aeta indian kids hanging out at the Royal Duty Free parking lot and at McDonalds, but they are slightly different in that they are pushing vegetables for sale while their controller or parent lounges in the shade nearby.  I don't usually give anything because I hate seeing kids used.  Aeta people are very small so it is hard to judge their ages, but the kids look very young.  One older one, a boy maybe 10-14, is already turning Bading, wearing girly clothes and makeup.

Today I was in the above mentioned parking lot, and was able to observe some of these same kids for 30 minutes or more.  There were 3 together today.  After HMR, I decided to sit in my BILs dark tinted Starex while everyone else went in Royal.

They carry vegetables around but I don't think they every give them away.  They are mainly looking for handouts.  When I went back to the Starex they were hitting up the car that had pulled in next to us.  The older kid immediately gave some of the coins he got to the other two right when I walked up.  Then he turned to me and asked for some pesos.  "How about 20?"  "How about 100?"  "How about 1000?"  I gave him a look and got into the Starex.

A while later, the kids return to sit in the shade of Fortuner directly in front of me (diagonal parking).  They also appeared to be hiding from something other than the sun.  From where I was, I could not see if their handlers / parents were around.  When they arrived, they had food from some of the stalls next to Royal.  They both had fries from an "expensive" flavored fries place and one had a cup of soup of some sort.  I don't know if they begged the stalls for it or paid with their "earnings".  As they finished the goodies, they just threw all the trash on the ground.  For the next 30 minutes, the two older ones hung around there while they sent the youngest out with the veggies.  They would pop up once in a while if they saw a new "victim".

Regarding what I said in the earlier post about these kids at Royal being AETA indians, that might no be correct.  Upon this closer observation, these three appeared to probably be Filipino, or maybe part Aeta.  The older one had brownish hair with blond streaks in it, like it was done at a hairdresser.  The younger one was probably 8-9 and the older probably 11-12.

After this observation, it confirmed my previous thoughts.  These kids are being groomed for a life of no good.  Giving them handouts just reinforces this and you are helping to condemn them to a life of poverty, crime and drugs.  I will not give them anything from now on.  I will give to some truly in need who beg, like disabled folks, but not able bodied kids.  They should be in school or a positive environment at home.

If you want to help the kids, find a reputable charity that reaches out to the street kids and brings some hope of getting them on the right path to adulthood.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gary D said:

Just a word of warning. It is against the law to give to beggers in the Philippines.

Hmmm... yet I would guess that a high percentage of Filipinos must be breaking that law - at least from what I observe.

I or L will give to what we observe are needy - disabled mainly. I ignore the pushy kids but L gives to them sometimes. I think it is bad precedence to give to the pushy kids - once they taste the fruits of begging, it becomes their chosen lifestyle. It can be quite lucrative for the more creative ones. As I mentioned before, I will try to give more just food directly rather than money. As noted in OMW's posting - some of these kids just go out and buy expensive junk food and dump their trash... great education! I won't support that.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Badjao (sp?) around here are downright annoying and aggressive.  Coming on the jeepney or tapping on your car window at stop lights, putting their hands on you coming out of the store, etc.  One of them was standing in the middle of two lanes of traffic, causing a traffic jam.  Wife says the ones here are kind of known to be from Mindanao, and can be seen in the money shops sending funds back home to their families.  IDK, seems very strange, this professional begging.  

We had a similar thing in China, but the kids were just normal in appearance.  Their 'handler' would always be somewhere in the crowd. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I story related to me some time ago was that a tourist had given money to a child begger and returned to his hotel. Apparently he had been followed and next morning when he left the hotel there were about 50 kids waiting outside for him.

• Sad 2