Homemade bread

Viking
Posted
Posted

Do any of you make your own bread in Philippines?

If you do, is it easy to find the ingredients you need, like whole grain flour and yeast?

I really don´t like the typical "Tasty bread" you can buy in most shops and would love to get someting less sweet and with more chewing resistance, hahaha.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Viking said:

Do any of you make your own bread in Philippines?

If you do, is it easy to find the ingredients you need, like whole grain flour and yeast?

I really don´t like the typical "Tasty bread" you can buy in most shops and would love to get someting less sweet and with more chewing resistance, hahaha.

Any suggestions?

I get my Pandasal from a bakery that mixes turkish flour into the mix. Better than the usual. There was someone on this group that makes their own bread but can't remember who it was. I'm getting old.:mellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, roddavis said:

Been making my own bread for the past 5 years! The local breads here have too much sugar(filipino tastes). I used to have a bread machine in which I just dump all my ingredients, Then within a couple of hours, out popped a new loaf! The neighbors knew when I was baking. Nothing better than the fresh aroma of baked bread!

Now as far as the ingredients- whole wheat flour, bread  flour you can buy  25 Kilos for P750 which is the best buy! The yeast you can get in 1 Kilo bags which will last me for a year if you store in the refridge. The bread machine can even make jams in short order, just the fruit and sugar and the bread machine cooks it up nicely. This year the bearings froze, so now making by hand. The family likes baguette breads so found baguette bread pans at Lazada for cheap

The latest, been making sourdough (from scratch) so have Large sourdough breads and baguettes. Also great for making sourdough pancakes with fresh banana jam. YUM!  The local priest knows I do this so he stops by with requests to have some with his evening meals. If your serious about breads, PM me!  :fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif:

I found that using the machine to make the dough , then after proving it  ,bske it in the oven ,mix some egg yolk and milk paint it on and by trial and error you can find your sweet spot in the oven to make mouth watering  bread

From memory ,panasonic bread makers were voted the best on one of these cooking programmes on tv

Edited by bastonjock
  • Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, roddavis said:

Been making my own bread for the past 5 years! The local breads here have too much sugar(filipino tastes). I used to have a bread machine in which I just dump all my ingredients, Then within a couple of hours, out popped a new loaf! The neighbors knew when I was baking. Nothing better than the fresh aroma of baked bread!

Now as far as the ingredients- whole wheat flour, bread  flour you can buy  25 Kilos for P750 which is the best buy! The yeast you can get in 1 Kilo bags which will last me for a year if you store in the refridge. The bread machine can even make jams in short order, just the fruit and sugar and the bread machine cooks it up nicely. This year the bearings froze, so now making by hand. The family likes baguette breads so found baguette bread pans at Lazada for cheap

The latest, been making sourdough (from scratch) so have Large sourdough breads and baguettes. Also great for making sourdough pancakes with fresh banana jam. YUM!  The local priest knows I do this so he stops by with requests to have some with his evening meals. If your serious about breads, PM me!  :fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif:

Thats great info :thumbsup:

So you prefer doing bread in the baking-machine instead of the oven? Is it becase it is not so much work or because the result gets better? Do you find the ingredients in normal stores like SM or Puregold?

:tiphat:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Viking said:

So you prefer doing bread in the baking-machine instead of the oven? Is it becase it is not so much work or because the result gets better? Do you find the ingredients in normal stores like SM or Puregold?

Im not in the Philippines fulltime yet,  but id go with roddavis advice 

Its a lot easier to use the machine at the start , it gets you into the hobby ,, the bread baked in the machine is easy , you just add flour, water,yeast and butter and a little salt  , press the button or what i preferr is to set the timer ,so that the smell of the bread baking wakes you up ,add a coffee machine and its a great way to go 

Start with the easy recipes, then you get adventurous,  add things like olives ,nuts etc and experiment with an oven ,i want to try a wood fired oven fors tuff like pizza , and bread rolls 

Just watch your weight lol, it can get quite adictive 

As for the sweet philipino bread its more like a muffin mix or a cake bun mix 

Your making me hungry lol

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Im not in the Philippines fulltime yet,  but id go with roddavis advice 

Its a lot easier to use the machine at the start , it gets you into the hobby ,, the bread baked in the machine is easy , you just add flour, water,yeast and butter and a little salt  , press the button or what i preferr is to set the timer ,so that the smell of the bread baking wakes you up ,add a coffee machine and its a great way to go 

Start with the easy recipes, then you get adventurous,  add things like olives ,nuts etc and experiment with an oven ,i want to try a wood fired oven fors tuff like pizza , and bread rolls 

Just watch your weight lol, it can get quite adictive 

As for the sweet philipino bread its more like a muffin mix or a cake bun mix 

Your making me hungry lol

I am in the same situation, not in PH yet but will make our move in less than a year :thumbsup:

Never done any baking at home here in Sweden because it´s so easy to buy the kind of bread you want in the store, but it´s a different story in Pinas, thats why I do some research about making our own, when we get there.

We have to stop this food talk because now I get hungry too :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I’m in the States not an expat. I bake bread using a Kitchen aid mixer and oven. 

Bob’s Red Mill organic whole wheat and white bread flower is available at SM grocery store several places in Cebu not sure about your are.

Pros and cons bread maker or mixer oven. With experience and a mixer you can control the gluten (more chewy). Not sure about a bread maker. Baking bread in oven with stone base underneath baking pan gives a wonderful bottom crust. You can control exactly temperature and doneness with an oven. With mixer there is no limits on what you can bake.

On the other hand you certainly can make bread by hand. Get a good workout too!

You’re Filipino oven must keep correct temp to bake.

A bread maker is quick and easy and importantly will not heat up your kitchen.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

Bread machine just makes it easier to start until you get the basics down and the baking in the machine is done for you. But just as easy rolling up your sleeves and dive right in. You get to the point you don't even need a recipe to follow because you learn what you need. what consistency of the dough etc. Whats fun is trying new ingredients from fruits to nuts. Even made Pina Colada dread with pineapple crushed and coconut milk. Comes out like Hawaiian bread! Most ingrediants you can find at SM, but whole wheat flower is sometimes hard to find.

One caution with the flour. Don't leave any unused containers of flour open, they get these pesky flour bugs in the flour. Nasty things! If you see them, throw it out. But if you keep the flour in the fridge. seems to keep them away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the States I would use a bread machine and then transfer to a loaf pan to bake in the oven.   Was better able to control the rise and the bread wasn't as dense as when totally made in the bread machine.  I also had branched out into making baguettes and sourdough breads, yummy!  In addition to SM I have heard you can get your flours in S & R stores, an Italian friend of mine who bakes bread mentioned.  

Have not baked since I came to the Philippines though,  no oven.  Will be moving in a couple of months, hopefully to a place with an oven!:thumbsup: 

Edited by Hobbit112
  • Like 1